Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a question for everyone here. The company I work for does not have an in-house design team and the CEO wants to change our design. But, instead of just hiring a freelancer, he wants to hold a design competition. Have any of you been involved in something like this, or heard of another company that has done this? Any info would help. Thanks.

Member #
    Yeah, its pretty widely considered bad practice.. more so in the graphic design, but it applies to website design also.

Its often refered to as "Spec Work" , and it hurts your company and web designers also.

Because it's just a contest, you don't get to work with a designer to get all the elements your website needs for its most effective design. You just get submitted tons of designs...

And of cource it kinda screws over designers, because they put the time and effort into a design and all but one are doing it for free/nothing.

Read more about it here
    http://graphicdesign.about.com/cs/wo...a/specwork.htm

Member #
    Thanks for the info! Do you know of any companies specifically that has done this?

The idea (which isn't mine, BTW) is that we call for portfolios and we "invite" a handful and pay them a fee for their time, then pick. Nobody would be working for free.

But, I really just would like to know if anyone has heard of any specific companies that have done this. Thanks.

Member #
    I still think you would benifit more from working with one design company that you like their work, that way you can collaborate on the design elements and what you want to focus on... rather than just get 3-4 different designs that are a best guess at what you want based on the basic information you provide.

What ends up happening, is the flashiest design wins because it the most rememorable and eye catching... even if a flashy design isn't the best one suited for your company.

For example a design company might advise against using a very fancy font because it is hard to read, but in a contest type situation you often don't get that reasoning and the site suffers because you pick the fancy flashy design.

I am a little unsure what you are asking beyond that -
    Do you want a list of companies that have done this, so you can contact them and ask them how it went?

Or are you looking for ways to go about holding the contest?

Member #
    Do you want a list of companies that have done this, so you can contact them and ask them how it went?
    Yes exactly. Not necessarily a list, but maybe one or two that you know of.

Remove Ads