Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have had many years designing websites for myself, friends family and my company but have never done it professionally. I have looked around the internet to try to find some standard prices but they vary so much. Can anyone tell me what they would normally charge for a site that they:
    -Design the layout
    -Create all graphics (including logo creation)
    -domain name
    -hosting on a remote server
    -company email address
    -Guestbook
    -Bullitan board/forum
    -Install web stats tracking program

I am just starting out to try to do this professionally. I have all the experience I need technically (HTML, JavaScript, CSS, PHP, Flash), just none of the administrative and book keeping skills. If you charge a flat fee, for each service

Also I would assume that you have clients sign a contract and probably recieve a portion of the total quoted bill upfront so you do not get stiffed.

Let me know what you guys think.
    Thank,
    Brian

Member #
    I try and break up and organize things as much as possible.

Most companies want to know at least aproximately how much a website will cost them before giving the go-ahead. So think about hourly rates per different service, and keep track of how long it takes you on average to complete a task.

Obviously at first this is harder because you probably don't pay as much attention to exact hours on your own/family sites.

For example I charge a flat free for 3 design mockups, and then charge an hourly rate for additional designs/alterations.

Then I charge another aproximated fee for turning the mockup into a XHTML/CSS valid design...

For things like logos you might want to charge seperately, and charge more than just the amount of hours it takes you to make it. They are going to be using it on every letter head, marketing document, business card, etc... so you are more or less selling the logo to them instead of just designing it, if that makes sense.

For rates, I see between $40 - $100 an hour in the US for professionals (ie: not someone who buys frontpage and decides he can make websites for people a few weeks later)

You might want to charge more or less depending on who your client base is going to consist of.

HTH!

-Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine3
    I have had many years designing websites for myself, friends family and my company but have never done it professionally. I have looked around the internet to try to find some standard prices but they vary so much. Can anyone tell me what they would normally charge for a site that they:
    -Design the layout
    -Create all graphics (including logo creation)
    -domain name
    -hosting on a remote server
    -company email address
    -Guestbook
    -Bullitan board/forum
    -Install web stats tracking program

I am just starting out to try to do this professionally. I have all the experience I need technically (HTML, JavaScript, CSS, PHP, Flash), just none of the administrative and book keeping skills. If you charge a flat fee, for each service

Also I would assume that you have clients sign a contract and probably recieve a portion of the total quoted bill upfront so you do not get stiffed.

Let me know what you guys think.
    Thank,
    Brian

Remove Ads