Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I see that a lot of employers ask for PHP experience. My colloege teaches ASP but not PHP. I know that these two coding languages are server side. Can anyone please give me information on the differences of these two scripts?

Member #
    I dont know a whole lot about PHP but I know its supposed to be fairly easy to use and learn. http://php.net is great for learning

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This is a touchy subject but I"ll give you my opinion (in the end that's all that's left - opinion)

ASP and PHP can essentially do the same things. The difference between the two... well, ASP is microsoft - (basically) requires IIS as your server and (usually) uses VB style coding. PHP is open source - contributed by the entire community of web developers and made up of a bunch of little functions in essence. I'ts more "standard" type coding - c/c++/javascript/etc.

Arguing performance is just silly because the little differences are overwhelmed by the constant updates to the languages and hardware that it's being served off.

I chose PHP (I know quite a bit of ASP - but quit a while ago) based on the entire open-source idea. Since everyone is contributing there's more chance that there's been a special function programmed for exactly the need you require. Also, the documentation is just supurb. Check out the online manual at php.net and you'll start to get an idea of what I'm talking about..

I've also found that tranferring in between technologies isn't that hard. i.e. it's easy to learn php after you've leared asp and vise-versa. It's all the same ideas just put forth differently.

Hope that helps...

Peace
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    There is also a difference in terms of the use of the software.

ASP (and now .NET) is an Enterprise language, because it has the support of COM+, allowing an n-tier architecture to be designed for the application you're creating. What that means is that you can have an entire app written in compiled VB or C++ (or VB.NET or C# for ASP.NET) components with an ASP (or ASP.NET) "presentation layer".

Java has a similar architecture, allowing you to create Java Classes or Java Beans (or Enterprise Java Beans) that perform your business logic, with JSP or Servlets working as your presentation layer.

PHP lacks the ability to create backend components because the designers wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Therefore, an entire PHP application is compiled at run-time (when someone requests the page) and presented to the user, making it a little slower. Also, there's no way to organize your PHP application into "tiers".

N-tier Architecture is a term that defines an application that is created in multiple layers, typically 3 (database, business logic, presentation). Sometimes 4 (addition of Data Abstraction Layer or DAL) or more. This is a popular method of application development for enterprise software development because it allows you to reuse code and simplify design. It also increases the security of your code by allowing you to put your sensitive information into compiled components (can't be opened and read).

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Forgot this part:

What the whole thing above means is that PHP is primarily a "website programming" language, whereas ASP is also a step towards "enterprise programming".

Depending on what you want to do for a living, you should consider either or both. I think if you're going to do web design you should learn both. They're not entirely dissimilar in structure, though they use entirely different syntax.

Remove Ads