Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    When you draft up a maintenance contract, should you give the client the option of paying a flat fee (like $120 a month) for web maintenance or an hourly rate ($30 an hour)?

I've finished a project for a group of musicians and it seems that they can't pay me a whole lot, since they represent themselves and not a business. If it was a business, I would automatically go by the hour, then give them an invoice.

The musicians want to learn how to eventually do updates for themselves and they are somewhat internet savvy. My idea is to arrange a time with them on Friday so we can go over on things like updating the calendar or adding new photos. Consulting can last an hour or 2 hours..or even a paltry 30 minutes so should I charge this as a flat fee or not at all?

So after our initial consulting, they might tell me that they feel comfortable doing the updates themselves which might take future business away from me. However, I could still offer the chance to go into a maintenance contract with them and mention that it would be convenient because let's say that they're on tour and they don't have a laptop with WiFi access loaded with Photoshop and other design tools, yet they need to have new tour information loaded up to their website. Then, that's where I (hopefully) come in. Does this plan sound OK? Any gaping holes?

I look forward to your opinions! Thanks!

Member #
    Another question about consulting..

There's a possibility that my clients might not want me to be at their studio/home for onsite consulting..I can understand that because I'm also one of the many people who would rather do business in an office environment or a neutral area like a coffee shop or library. So, have any of you guys done email consulting and did you charge the client for it or did you leave as a free service?

Remove Ads