Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    This is about users, usability and the navigation of your site.

I am making my own site... now obviously i want my site to be amazing... no not amazing, better than that . As a result i will be wanting to take a step a way from the norm, leaving boring top and left sided navigation for something new and innovative.

The question is how far can you take this navigation? My original idea involves a splash page, the splash page will have a computer which is turned off and a blank monitor. Now to me its pretty obvious that to see the information you will need to turn on the computer by pressing a power button. But is this a leap too far? How many visitors will i lose because they can't work out how to turn the thing on?

Now i wouldn't have given it much thought a few weeks ago but recently i came across this website http://www.panicatthedisco.com/site.html tbh its soo frustrating and content is very very well hidden. This is what i am trying to avoid

Anyway my question is how much can i leave to the user. Can i give them a computer which is turned off and expect them to turn it on or would this be expecting too much?

Member #
    I dont think it's too much, if the button is made obvious-ish that it is pressable (shadow, maybe a green/lime border), and a hover effect.

However, having your navigation totally hidden, I am not so sure of.

It's one more step for your users to see what you have to offer.

Member #
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Perad, the site you listed as a bad example is indeed very bad. And I actually have at least some interest in Panic! at the Disco.

As far as usability is concerned, the navigation has to be easy to find and easy to use. It needn't be on the top nor on the left. I have a right-side nav on my site. It can be in the corner, or some how otherwise integrated into the layout.

One thing, if this is a PERSONAL site, you can give people a "Key" that will "unlock" the navigation.

In reference to a splash screen... personally, I approach splash screens from two standpoints: 1- I wonder what lies ahead -or- . 2- Where's the skip intro button?
    That being said, I will either wait for a re-direct, or look for something that says "skip intro." If I saw a computer on the screen, I would stare at it and wonder why it's taking so long to load. I'd suggest against that.

To really get to the heart of it, your question is one every graphic designer has pondered: how to I present information uniquely, and still have it be understood?

Cheers!
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads