Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    How do you usually go about making a website. Like the design aspect of it. Where do you get your motivation and what do you do first?

I usually think of designs when i am cutting my lawn or in the shower. I really like to combine nature, and sleek layouts so I guess if i see something that relates to either of those that is my motivation. And I usually draw the design on paper, then make the images, and then put it all togeather with divs. Never tables.

Member #
    I tend to think of content first.

I normally write down the different sections (and possibly sub-sections) that the website will have, and note the type of content it will have.

Also I try and develop a view of the file (directory view).

Design wise, it all depends on the site in hand.

Member #
    Usually, it hits me in the shower

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    same, actually

Member #
    I always have paper & pen on hand. My place is a mess because of it, but I like to think I produce good results.

bfsog makes a good point. The site has to fit the content in order to present it. You can't squeeze content into a sketch, or as I see too often, you cannot fill a layout with "fluff" content. Well, you CAN, but it doesn't work well.

I sketch out things all the time, but when it comes to making a very usable site, the site map is essential, so oftentimes any design I may have come up with will need to be re-worked.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads