Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    As I handed off a former web project of mine to a co-worker, she noted how differently she organized her site/files and how it took her longer just to get used to how my stuff was set up.

So this is just a general question out of curiosity. I'm wondering how you all build your websites -- what your general process is, how you organize your files, etc.

Me? I always start in Photoshop with a blank 1024x768 template. I literally create everything in Photoshop how I would expect to see it on the web -- background image/texture, a ~750px box (for main content) or other structure, and images. I populate content areas with fake text (Verdana or whatever font, no anti-alias, so it looks like it would in a browser), and use the text tool to create my headers, etc. I even place things like fake iframes if used (take a screenshot of my desktop and paste the scrollbar from my browser) and anything else that you'd see in the live site.

Once I have my mockup done, I am able to save off a full-size JPG that could easily be mistaken for a live site. I've had people come by my desk while in progree and try to scroll on some text, only to find it's all just a mockup image.

After the mockup is approved in its full "fake HTML" glory, I move on to coding. I use GoLive to set up my page, create tables, etc, and drop in images I save off from Photoshop. I use the marquee tool and 'Copy Merged' to dump off files to be used on the page, as I've found slices more annoying to use than doing it manually.

When the page is built in GoLive, I use CSS and manual HTML to make it look almost EXACTLY like my Photoshop mockup, create the menus, Flash, and anything else. From there I move on to duplicating pages, editing content, and tweaking as necessary, and tada, I have my site.

I do not like to "code blind" and that's why I always design in Photoshop first -- though I do understand plenty of people probably build entire sites designing WITH CSS rather than using CSS to replicate a PSD design.

So how do you build your site?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i normally get an idea in the shower but it could happen anywhere. Then when i get a chance i draw it, since i dont have photoshop yet [but i will soon] i take it to gimp and do just exactly like you do but i use notepad instead of goLive. Im low budget as you can tell but i dont do this for a job yet. Im too young [15], but i want to.

Member #
    I have used Photoshop in the past, so I know the process you go through.
    Everyone is different. I read the other day on here where someone did their website in Notepad........lol
    GMan

Member #
    Whether youu use notepad or a web dev program, HTML is just plain text so you do not need any fancy software, or lots of $$ to buy software.

Maybe notepad is a choice among some users as that is what they mastered HTML and the like with when they began coding.

Member #
    I do the Photoshop process too and then code based on that. It's like a map - dunno if I could find my way without it.

Remove Ads