Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: 3D Designs

Member #
    I am quite new a web design, but I am looking to take it to another level. Specifically, I want to bring some slight 3-dimensionality to my sites. Specifically, I am interested in using fill gradients and shadows behind tables. I have many questions, but primarily, is the only way to do this through the use of images? I have researched a little bit about using slivers to create fill gradients, but have had little luck pulling it off. I also wonder if it is easier to just create an entire image with a gradient and then just specify the height/width of the table cell. I appreciate any help that the more experienced web designers out there can offer.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Because CSS doesn't yet support gradients or drop shadows completely, you need to use images.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Good to know. As a result, these images really need to be static, right? For example, a table with a shadow box behind it could not be coded so that the table grows as dynamic information is dumped into it. Unless, of course, the code imported a different image to compensate. Does that sound correct?

Member #
    You don't need to import different images, there's an easier way. On my site I use drop shadows in three parts: the top, the middle (which is a repeating background), and the bottom. Just make a containing DIV with the repeating background and add two more DIVs inside it with the top gradient and bottom gradient. Put all the content between the top and bottom divs. If the content expands, the bottom div just gets pushed down.

Member #
    Thanks a bunch, Eddy Bones. I will give this a shot. Do you work a lot with slivers, too? The way I understand sliver images, you have to make either the height or width static.

Member #
    Yeah, with all of mine the width is static. So you really have to choose which axis you want to stretch.

Remove Ads