Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Gaming Website

Member #
    Hi, im making a gaming website and I am viewing alot of them to get an idea of what to make, and im seeing that the web designers are using tables to align everything. Should I do The same thing?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No you should use divs instead

Member #
    It really depends on what gaming sites you are seeing. Yes, there are a lot of tables out there, but those are usually outdated designs.
    Divs are the way to go, but it also depends on your skill level and what you feel comfortable with.........personally, I don't use tables.......but you have to go with what you feel most comfortable with.

Good luck......
    GMan

Member #
    I would think that tables would be easier for me because im not really familiar with divs. Tables i've been using for a long time.

Member #
    Ok, I don't mean to stress hear but I wish people would say to use semantic html instead of divs. It gives many new people to CSS the impression that you just throw divs everywhere no matter what the element.

\rant, Sorry to be a purist

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    It really depends on what gaming sites you are seeing. Yes, there are a lot of tables out there, but those are usually outdated designs.
    Divs are the way to go, but it also depends on your skill level and what you feel comfortable with.........personally, I don't use tables.......but you have to go with what you feel most comfortable with.

Good luck......
    I would disagree here. Tables are out dated so wether or not you feel comfortable with them, it's time to stop using them.

If you don't understand the use of semantic coding (xhtml and css) then go away and learn some. You don't neeed to know it inside-out to start. a lot of it you can pick up as you go along.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Tables are for "tabular" data, like a matrix of values you might read from
    a database and display on a page. For that purpose, tables are exactly
    what you should use.

Now, there are CSS folks that disagree. Calendars are a good example where
    using tables makes the job easier, but here's a neat calendar that uses no tables:
    http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/calendar2.html

If I were you, I would use both CSS and tables at first ... but work on it from
    time to time, eliminating tables gradually until it's all CSS. It will take a little time
    to get it 100% CSS.

Member #
    Try to do the layout using tables then set the doctype to HTML 4.01 strict. You will probably see that FireFox / Mozilla (25% of the internauts use it) has rendering problems with one-image-in-one-cell. If you think standards are important and you still want to use tables, you migh want to use divs, use the hack for this problem. Usually I go with the second solution

Member #
    Well, using tables would significantly increased the size of your website (amount of HTML) and might slow down when your website is loaded.
    I would recommend using CSS, not only because it is better but also a must-have skills for todays web developement.

Remove Ads