Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    In addition to the regular cost of services that the client must pay in order to get his/her web site up and running, what specific tasks or circumstances should web designers charge the client for? The only situation I'm familiar with is when the client is late with his/her delivery of information.

My last project went over the 40 estimated work hours because my contact took an incredibly long time to deliver his photographs and paragraphs of text to me. A full month passed, but fortunately I had protected myself at the very beginning because my contract stated that "any delays on the progress of work, due to the client will be subjected to additional hourly charges of labor and thus will affect the final cost of the project". So once I received the information and the ball was rolling again, I added the 2 hours spent on the additional work X my hourly rate, to the original cost.

Member #
    Content management.
    As you have found out, customers are terrible at getting content to you in the format you ask.
    It doesn't matter if you sit down and say here is what I need.........they always think that content is not important or worth spending their time on.
    So, as long as you put in your contract the specific content they need to provide and the format to provide it, then you can charge for that when they don't deliver what they are supposed to (and when they are supposed to).

Also, don't forget to let them know there are additional charges beyond what you discuss and agree to. Meaning it is one thing to tweak something you agreed to, but it is another to change everything.

You did good to cover yourself, most people learn the hard way (as I did first starting out 4 years ago).
    Good luck.......
    GMan

Member #
    I could also charge for an additional item that the client wants on his/her website. On another web designer's portfolio, I saw base prices for a Flash webpage, Flash intro, url links, Flash Video player, etc. Unlike this web designer, I will not publicly display my prices. Instead I will have a price sheet (included with my brochure, resume, and other information) to give to the client. That way they could look on the "menu" and order up 2 extra web-links or 3 additional pages for $____________.

Remove Ads