Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Major Design?

Member #
    Im somewhat new to web design but very knowledgeable with computers. I have been looking into starting a website with a format of the "dreaded" Myspace...but focusing on a specific group such as musicians..etc......I know of a person who did something similar and it is turning out well.....here is the link.......http://www.streetfriendz.com/.....im looking into doing something like this and Im sure its an undertaking....but i was looking for some advice and direction.....
    Thanks

Member #
    That's a big job to make something like MySpace. You're going to need an extensive knowledge of some sort of server side scripting like PHP.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Indeed. and the more features you add (blogging, forums, etc), the more complicated it gets. Then again, for me it would get extra-complicated because I like to make general solutions as opposed to specific ones. I'm a fan of code reuse, what can I say. If you focus on your specific needs, you can probably save yourself some trouble, but it's still going to require a solid grounding in PHP, ASP, .NET, ColdFusion, J2EE, Ruby, Perl, or some other similar technology to get you somewhere.

Member #
    you will need to learn alot of different things for a page like that:
    1. css - you will need this to work with the layout
    2. php,asp,cgi[perl ect...] - to run the server scripting required
    3. basic Xhtml,html experence
    4. a server or host capable of running it all
    5. SQL or other database experence

To start with all of that you may want to search for the above in google or something
    you may also try going for something simpler and make it your project to work to something greater
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just to clarify -- pyrodragon meant you'll have to learn *one of* PHP, ASP, Perl, etc, not all of them :-)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Just to clarify -- pyrodragon meant you'll have to learn *one of* PHP, ASP, Perl, etc, not all of them :-)
    I would choose PHP if i were you, i like that language

Member #
    yes php is my favorit too cause it integrates so well with exsiting pages and offers small as well as large jobs. You will also need database experence seperate from pure php.

note that asp works really well with ajax as do some cgi languages.
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Every language you want to work well with AJAX works well with AJAX. Generally speaking, I daresay there's a greater difficulty on the client side with AJAX than there is on the server side. All you need on the server is something to write XML or JSON and you're set. Plus if you've got proper model/view abstraction on the server, an XML/JSON generator is just another view on your model.

Member #
    See what code you can freely use from other peoples' projects, if any. Doing so can (a) save time and (b) force you to be a bit more modular in design. However often your own code is best for the job.

AND DO NOT NEGLECT SECURITY
    Learn all types of attacks: XSS, javascript/email/sql injections, etc
    Go to hackthissite.org and finish the courses. Cheat if you must; there are walkthroughs online -- the important thing is you learn the items needed to pass each level.
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Remove Ads