Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I fear that my invoice is too elementary or basic for my clients. This is what I have:

To: and From: - where I put down my client's address, and my company address.

Description Of Services

Hourly Rate

Total Estimated Work Hours

Total Cost

Signature of Client

Date Invoice Is Sent

Member #
    Ok, I'd like to add something else to my question..

Do most web design freelancers charge for items/products as well as by the hour? I saw an invoice online that had the following set-up:

ITEM NAME: Labor

DESCRIPTION: On-site

RATE: $40.00

QUANTITY: 3

AMOUNT: $120.00

This invoice was not designed for web design, but when I saw this I easily replaced ITEM NAME with "Hyperlink", "Menu button", and "Email address", because the time it takes to create an extra hyperlink for a website is not worth an hour. However, scanning pictures, designing a new logo to be updated to the website, creating a new flash movie for the homepage, installing a music player, and installing a photo gallery are worth several hours because of the large amount of work involved to create, test, and upload the work to the website.

So, I would like to know if there are other website items (besides Hyperlinks, menu buttons, and email addresses) I can charge the customer for.

My example here:

ITEM NAME: Menu buttons

DESCRIPTION: Added 4 menu buttons to the main navigation

COST:
    $25.00 per button

QUANTITY: 4

AMOUNT: $100.00

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Per item or per hour is generally your choice, and tends to vary both by developer and by job. Huge jobs where you can't really estimate how long each item will take you is perhaps better done hourly. Ones where it's easy to estimate how long it'll take you is probably better done item-wise. But there are a metric ton of threads on how much to charge where this is also discussed. Use the little search box ;-)

Member #
    I think you're misinterpretting the "item." Labor would cover hyperlinks, Flash etc. A different item would be, say a cost, like adding a shopping cart function, or registering a domain.

One thing you may want to do is break down Labor into the categories: planning, graphic production, logo work, coding, testing, etc. But, then you are charging for the amount of TIME it takes to complete each aspect, as opposed to the quantity.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads