Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: webpage SIZE

Member #
    ok , hope you can help , , I run a school website and the design is best view at 1024x768 first question is , what is the best screen size to set to, and the second is, at the school the screen size's are so small and prob set to 800x600 so most things are off the screen and have to be scrolled horz, is there a ballance on setting the screen size, because it is not just the school viewing the website i dont really want to reduce the webpage design down, so is there a way to have a resize button for two different screen sizes?
    And how is this do?
    many thanks
    rob
    by the way what is the avarage screen resolution ?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Unfortunately 800x600 is a very typical resolution, even more so in schools. I think we should all have left 800x600 behind a long time ago, but there you have it. Your best bet to deal with the problem would be to make a fluid layout.

I believe, by the way, that the most pervasive resolution on the Internet nowadays is finally 1024x768. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Actually, a recent study I checked out showed only 11% of all web users are still on 800x600

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Interesting. In schools, however, that's not the case. At least not in schools I've been to :-P Something to do with the media center ladies, apparently...

Member #
    Thanks for replies, i think it's more down to cheap monitors!! in schools
    guess it world be nice to have a button or even auto recognize screen size,would i have to design two of the same webpages , ie one for 800x600 and the other for 1024x768 maybe there is a script out there some where?, ???

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well... If your site is done using CSS, I really do recommend looking at fluid layouts. They should solve your problem. If you're doing table-based design... Well... You may well have to design two sites, yes. Or just redo your first one using CSS :-P

Javascript can be used to detect the current browser's viewing area, yes. I'm sure googling it will help.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Well... If your site is done using CSS, I really do recommend looking at fluid layouts. They should solve your problem. If you're doing table-based design... Well... You may well have to design two sites, yes. Or just redo your first one using CSS :-P

Javascript can be used to detect the current browser's viewing area, yes. I'm sure googling it will help.
    No just plain old html !!:hurt: thanks ill google it ,any one else no the location of such script?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's not a hard one to achieve, if I remember correctly. The window will emit some sort of event when it resizes, I believe, and then the scrollWidth and scrollHeight arguments on the document or on the window will get you your dimensions. I think.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Or just code your site according to web standards and it would be the easiest fix ever
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You can create "liquid layouts" with table-based layout... I was doing them 8 years ago... before CSS even existed! :-D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads