Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So this is a random question that just occurred to me: what do you use as references when you're doing HTML, CSS, or Javascript, etc, work?

For W3C technologies, my first stop is almost always the technical reports/specifications (be they DOM, CSS, or HTML). For languages, I try and hit the language source (i.e., Java's API docs for Java, Ruby's reference for Ruby, the Rails API for Rails, etc.), except for Javascript, where I have no central reference.

For everything else, I usually use the Google :-) Also, the only books on programming I own at the moment are Practical Common Lisp (which I'm slowly making my way through) and C++ GUI Programming With Qt, which I got a couple of years ago.

So what about others? Do you use more books than web sources? Do you use Google more than I do, or do you have a list of bookmarks that you go through? Just curious :-)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Yes, the W3C specifications is what I use. The CSS ones are actually useful.
    For Javascript, mozilla.org's developer stuff.
    If that fails, I harass people at work.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I use Dreamweaver and it has a rather extensive reference library built in. Also, http://www.devguru.com is quite useful. For some CSS tricks, I have a couple of Eric Meyer's books handy.
    iRevamp - SEO Service in Minneapolis St Paul, the Twin Cities

Member #
    At this point I almost never have to look up html help. Keeping that in mind, I usually do stuff from memory. If I'm still having trouble with I go to w3schools and check some of my many css bookmarks. But I'm finding more and more that I can just check previous projects or figure out more advanced css layout techniques without help. (I used to have to follow a tutorial to make a css layout)

Remove Ads