Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm making a faily simple website for a start-up law firm (a friend of mine who's an intern there recommended me), but I have NO clue how much a website like that costs. I've made websites before, but not for money. I gotta call the guy tomorrow to negotiate the price, but I don't even know what number to start from.

Here's their old site: http://www.fkmiplaw.com/
    Here's the new one I'm working on: http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~alex...te2/index.html

It's made with tables now (faster for me to design), but I will redo it with CSS.

Oh and it's a New York firm.

thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The new site looks excellent, for reference. Also, designing first with tables and then with CSS is probably about as inefficient as it gets. But that aside :-)

There are about twenty thousand different threads lying around about how much to charge. Do a search and you'll find all of them :-)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    The new site looks excellent, for reference.
    Thanks

Also, designing first with tables and then with CSS is probably about as inefficient as it gets.
    True. I did that because I wasn't very familiar with CSS at the time. It was faster for me to just do the table layout in FrontPage (I know... don't hit me). But now that I'm done with the design, I can redo everything with CSS.

There are about twenty thousand different threads lying around about how much to charge. Do a search and you'll find all of them :-)
    Yeah, but most of them are very vague. The questions are vague (like "how much should I charge for a 5 page site?") , so most of the replies are "well it depends on what your actual site will look like", "it depends on where you live", etc. But here I have the exact website (although unfinished), so I assumed the forumers would be able to give me a reasonably accurate estimate.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, so far it looks like you're redesigning the site; do you have to update content? Are you planning on making the content dynamic? If so, what language will it be in? How important do they consider the site? How much knowledge went into making it?

(One side note on the design itself: the thin stripes in the background result in a very psychedelic and eye-soring blur when I scroll in FF on Linux; this might not be the case on Windows, though. I'll refrain from commenting further on the design, though, since I figure you'll post in How's My Site if you want to know about that :-))

Member #
    do you have to update content? - no

Are you planning on making the content dynamic? - no

How important do they consider the site? - Don't know. I guess important enough if they wanted to redo it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Consider that you're charging not for time spent, but for knowledge and value. If a ten-year-old could achieve it in fifty hours, but you did it in five, it doesn't mean they deserve more money. You charge for your ability and how much that ability is worth to them, and not the time it took to achieve the product. (Others may disagree, mind you, but this is why I dislike hourly pay.)

What I've been told, especially for starting out, when you have no idea where the price should be, is that you should ballpark it and then double that figure. Others will almost certainly disagree, but hear me out. If you do this and it's too much, they'll tell you (as long as you make it clear it's negotiable). Once you've got a deal worked out, you have a reference point for future ballparking, too.

Also, consider that you might want to do it for cheaper than you usually might, on the condition that they promote you (not as in advertise, but rather as in, if they hear someone needs a project, they tell them about you).

Member #
    Consider that you're charging not for time spent, but for knowledge and value. If a ten-year-old could achieve it in fifty hours, but you did it in five, it doesn't mean they deserve more money. You charge for your ability and how much that ability is worth to them, and not the time it took to achieve the product. (Others may disagree, mind you, but this is why I dislike hourly pay.)
    I agree. Most people here recommend to figure out your hourly rate and multiply it by hours spent working. I don't think that's fair. And it's also pretty arbitrary. You can just make up the amount of hours. The person who's paying for the site doesn't care how much time you spent on it. He just wants to make sure he gets a good deal on the final product.

But in YOUR opinion, looking at the site, do you think $400 is fair to ask?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think $400 is almost certainly too little ;-) I made this site for somewhere near that price, and it's not exactly a masterpiece of design ;-)

Still, there's something to be said for the hourly rate -- the idea with that is that you set an hourly rate that reflects what you can achieve in an hour. But yes, I have the same discomfort with the potential for abuse of the system, even if I know I'm not going to do it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    I would call it more of `one way to price a project'. Not everyone does it the same way; that's just that person's idea of the best way :-) Not that I'm saying it's a bad way or anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads