Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac or PC?

Member #
    Hello,
    I would like to know (in your opinion) if a Mac or PC is better for Web Design? I appreciate any information you can give me about this. Thanks,

Lisa:laugh:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Mac, for one reason: new ones can dual-boot into Windows if necessary, so you can easily test in both Mac and Windows browsers with the same computer.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Thanks Filburt1! Is it ok to do web design on a laptop? Is there any specific kind of mac that you would recommend? Thanks again,
    Lisa

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    A desktop will be easier; you will have more power and space to work with, and for less. But, with a laptop, you can take it with you wherever you go, including to potential clients.

If you get a laptop, get at least the 15" version, or 17" if you don't mind lugging around the extra weight. If you get a desktop and have $2500, get a Mac Pro, but you don't get any monitor. Otherwise, a 20" or 24" iMac (from $1400 to $2000) would work, and obviously includes an LCD monitor.

You'll quickly find out with any kind of development that you need lots of screen space. It's quite common for web designers to have multiple monitors; I have a 20" LCD plus a 17" LCD, and am still running out of screen space.

Member #
    I beg to differ. Desktop PCs are ultimately the best, comparatively. In PCs, you can generally install one of two types of Operating systems, plus you can customize the hardware to your needs as a web designer. Then, there's also the fact that there are more apps (esp. freeware apps) that work in Windows for coding, such as Notepad++, PSPad, Crimson Editor, and so on.

Macs are also more expensive, and definitely not worth the money you fork out to buy it.

Linux comes with a multi virtual desktop feature that allows you to save on money needed to buy the extra monitors. For windows, virtual desktop manager software can be installed, and they, too can save on the money needed to buy the extra monitors. For macs, well, I have not heard of any such application.

From experience with my school's bunch of Macs (all installed with one of the Mac OS X's), they all suck terribly. You click something, and first you see a rainbow coloured circle you will grow to hate, then, it will just completely stop responding until you restart it.

My advice: Get a PC. If you get a Mac, have fun, for I can almost guarantee total hair loss (or at least hair whitening) within a few years. Your blood pressure will probably increase as well from all the screaming you'll do at the Mac.
    Hyperair

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Virtual desktops are not the same as multiple monitors and serve a different purpose. You often need to see the two monitors concurrently.

Macs you can install Mac OS X (obviously), Windows, or Linux. PCs are limited to Windows or Linux for all intents and purposes.

School computers suck. It's a universal fact. Never base your opinion of how much a computer sucks--Mac or PC--on your experience with a school computer. The beachball cursor almost certainly means the Macs at your school have far too little memory.

I scream at Windows far more often than OS X. Yes, the only disadvantage is the higher cost.

Member #
    Well I have to add, then that I have yet to scream at my windows computer. My Windows XP never crashed before, and runs faster than ANY Macintosh I've used. My Windows Vista runs even faster and is very stable.

I've been in web design for some time now, and the only reason I see for multiple monitors/desktops is doing more than one job concurrently, usually involves chatting, surfing, graphic designing and web designing at the same time. And even so, I can live with both Photoshop and Dreamweaver run at the same time on my 15" monitor. It's all about efficiency .

I don't think the extra cost is worth the installation of only one extra Operating System.

My PC has about the same memory as the school Macs (512 MB RAM) and my PC is fine, the school PC's not. How would you explain that? "School computers generally suck" is not really an excuse, unless you provide some reason to back that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    Yes, the only disadvantage is the higher cost.
    You forgot to mention the lack of freeware applications for Macintosh. More freeware applications are made for Windows compared to Linux or Macintosh. And I believe there are more freeware applications for Linux compared to Macintosh. So what do you have to say about this?
    Hyperair

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Getting back to the orgional topic...

Having owned and used both platforms extensivly, I would say if you have the extra money to throw at a system go for a MAC, everything you need is avaliable for a mac depite what others will have you belive. Many of the programs, especially those geared more toward design work better on a MAC. The mac platform is much more organized and streamlined and seems to not get in your way as much. This might not seem like too big of a deal for most but when you are churing out alot of work the little things make alot of difference. Programs written for a MAC also seem to be of higher quality, or rather I should say mac software goes though a better quality control process than its PC counterparts. I do not have any actual figures or benchmarks to back these statments up, but again you asked for opionions so that is what I am giving you. That has just been my perception of the matter. I have a certin biased toward the platform I will admit.

Having said that, you can create just as wonderful websites with a PC as you can with ANY MAC OUT THERE!! The platform does not hinder or benifit you in anyway, I just find it easier to work on the Macintosh platform. The benifits are the price, the large community, and alot more(but not nessesarilly better) software.

I would also never judge a platform based on an environment where multiple users are involved, you never know what the people befor you did to the computer and usually it is left in a shambles.. these systems should be regurly be cleaned out and reconfigured but usually rarley go unchecked. Case in point, where I went to collage nearly all the labs had mac's and they were all a pain to use, many systems would go down or most had problems. Thats what happens when you abuse anything, it breaks. However my mac at home hummed along for weeks on end with never even a whisper of a problem because I was the only one who ever touched it.

Member #
    Thank you for your opinions. Even though some had different opinions it still helped me because I did not know these differences between the Mac and PC before. I am not a Web Designer, just trying to learn the basics of it so if I use a 13" is that still okay to practice on?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can get a 13" notebook, but you'll be really cramped for screen space for development. IIRC, the 13" MacBooks use 1280 x 800, the same as my PC laptop. That's good for browsing, but for development, I don't find it that good (hence why I use my desktop for development).

I got a PC laptop only because of the price. A roughly similar MacBook Pro would have cost me $2000 versus the $1000 I paid.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads