Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everybody,
    Is there any software that is similar to Dreamweaver 8 but is free and produces semantic script?
    Thanks,
    Solidgold

Member #
    WYSIWYG is not a good thing at all - try out something like Aptana. You won't look back!

Member #
    Ah right, is it easy to use? also does it have that design section like dreamweaver? thanks a lot Solidgold

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can just use Dreamweaver in Code view most of the time, which is what I do. No designer can make truly sematic code in a WYSIWYG mode because it doesn't know the content you're trying to create. If you appropriately nest things in divs/spans, use header tags, give IDs and classes to the appropriate elements, etc., then it's trivial...until you make the CSS.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    So what you are saying is that my best bet is to simply use dreamweaver code view for the majority and just use the design view for checking how the site looks? i guess that makes sense, i was looking to use design software so that i can try out different things to decide what works, still thanks a lot

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Yes. It's pretty rare that I go into Design view at all, especially for more complex sites where Dreamweaver loses all hope of properly rendering it in the Design view.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Agree 10000% with filburt!

There's no problem with using DW! It's a great tool when you use it properly. Stick to code view and you shouldn't have any problem
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    I use DW8 as well, in split view. I do the layout in the code section, and check how the text looks in the design view. I don't ever expect the layout to be what it is in a browser, but it does help to decide whether the colors are ok.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Remove Ads