Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This is not my site but I thought that people designing their sites could use this:

http://browsershots.org/

Don't know how long it will last. It appears that they do this mostly manually. You'd think that they would automatise the process before launching but, hey, I'll take it.,..pretty cool and useful...

Member #
    That is pretty cool but you're right I doubt they aren't doing it manually. It claims they distribute the sites to different factories. Maybe they tried it out to see the response before they automated it.
    I'll give it a try on my site and see how and if it works!

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Isn't there another site (albeit a pay site) that does a similar thing? I can imagine it being slow anyway, because of what has to be done. Very smart though, and brilliant for developers!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's a nice concept, but sometimes you need the actual browser; for example, to test :hover effects, forms, Javascript, etc. You can easily get a cheap-*** slow Mac for $200 or less to use just as a Safari testbed. I got a G4 Cube about a year ago for about $300 for the sole purpose of testing WDF v5 in Safari...and that Cube's video card is dead now, to be replaced with another I happen to have.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    It's a nice concept, but sometimes you need the actual browser; for example, to test :hover effects, forms, Javascript, etc.

I agree. Still it's pretty handy if you're in a jam and need to test something within a reasonable amount of time. I just used it to fix the positioning of a button that was misaligned in a version of Opera I didn't have and two versions of Konqueror not on my computer.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I use a software called Snag It ... It's great 'cause if you want to screen capture a page that's longuer than what showing, there's an option that let's you capture the whole thing.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    I use a software called Snag It ... It's great 'cause if you want to screen capture a page that's longuer than what showing, there's an option that let's you capture the whole thing.
    Does it take screenshots in browsers you don't have on your computer? That is kind of the praticality around browsershots.org

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by duck444
    Does it take screenshots in browsers you don't have on your computer? That is kind of the praticality around browsershots.org
    I really should wait 'til I have my breakfast before replying to some threads!

No it doesn't ... I should have read a bit more of the post instead of skimming through aranoid:

I'll go have breakfast now :laugh:
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Remove Ads