Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New site

Member #
    Hey,
    I'm working on an update of my school house website and wanted your opinions on how it looks, the house colour is pink - hence the colours used!
    I also would like some advice on what fonts would look good,
    thanks in advance,
    Solidgold
    check it out

Member #
    Im not a huge fan. I would possibly go with a solid grey background rather than more stripes. Also, there is a black circle in the middle of the text area in Firefox. Another thing I just noticed, is that the page scrolls when it doesnt need to, and there is no border on the top of the bottom pink section, which I think would make the site look a little better, since there is a border on the top pink section.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It doesn't align properly in Firefox, and there's horizontal and vertical scrolling for no reason.

Also, having stripes going one direction at the top and bottom of the page, and stripes going in another in the middle, is a bit of a distraction. Make it solid. It's like watching a magic eye on a carousel.

You seriously need to learn CSS and XHTML properly without using the design view in Dreamweaver. The reason everything scrolls is because you've created layers in the design view, and given them fixed widths. You can't do that. Absolute positioning shouldn't be used for what you're trying to achieve.

Member #
    Thanks guys, in reply to ljm, i do know CSS and xhtml, just never have the time to use them in my sites, dreamweaver is so much quicker! i also have designed this site with in mind of it being used exclusively with IE because it is a college "house" and my college only has IE, i am aware that is rather like saying "most of my users have IE, forget all the rest" but in this case i can get away with it, ONLY people from my college (meaning only people with IE) can access this site, which makes keeping the script semantic etc rather irrelevant.
    I understand what you mean about the different directions of the stripes though and will look into changing that.

To Chris:
    I hope that the black circle has gone now? and i've stopped the page from scrolling... i think! to be honest, the border on the top is part of the image - the same image i've used on the bottom - meaning that its upside-down if you understand me!

thanks a lot for your views, i'll take them into consideration!
    Solidgold

Member #
    why not make it look amazing coz it looks hideous lol

Member #
    yeah... thanks for the advice, real grown up

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    How's about we offer constructive criticism, joofhart?

solid -- Dreamweaver is faster than XHTML+CSS because you aren't experienced enough with XHTML+CSS. Sort of a circular issue. You use Dreamweaver because it's faster, and you'll never get faster with XHTML+CSS :-)

Member #
    The Good:
    I do like that you got rid of the striped black/grey striped background, and the black circle is gone.

The Bad:
    I don't know what you did, but it looks much worse today. It scrolls both ways, the pink section on top extends all the way over, and the pink section on bottom doesn't. I would suggest using a sans serif font. The navigation strip is longer than the content section. The white line that separates the content from the links in the content portion on the right only extends halfway down the section, and the content goes over that line. Also, a lot of the links take me to the awardspace.com home page. As far as the pink line goes, I would crop it off of the image, and use a CSS border to make it look more balanced.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Ok, well thanks guys, on further reflection it isnt a very nice website at all! i've scrapped it and am now completely redesigning it using a much more subtle shade of pink, i've kept the black striped background, but am using it in a much more subtle manner, one which doesnt hurt your eyes!,
    To Shadowfiend:
    I guess you're probably right, i just hardly ever have the time to learn CSS and xhtml properly, i always find myself doing something else more important (usually college course work!) as soon as i get time off i'll get right down to learning CSS and xhtml, but at the moment i'm just to busy

(a poor excuse i know...)

Member #
    oh and by the way, i'll be uploading the index page of this new site tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads