Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: What do i need?

Member #
    im an up and coming webdesigner , and i want to start freelance webdesigning.
    i need to get myself a site going for myself and im not quite shore what to include.

I think i need:
    about me (page)
    contact (page)
    porfolio (page)
    I was thinking id need a page that would cover pricing but im not sure

i dont feel like i need much more.
    can you please tell me whether what i got is right
    please name some i have not mentioned if you would like to explain a way i would set it out that would be good.

also should i mention in my banner that im webdesigner?
    thanx in advanced

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Side note: the forum rules ask you to use proper grammar

Concerning the pricing page -- you probably should have one, just because people will look for one, but you can just make it say that they should contact you for pricing info and provide a link to the contact page. Though even if you just make it say that, you should have some additional content on there, as well, so it doesn't look empty.

Member #
    I will assume that English is a second language, so I won't go on about grammar.
    Though you will need to address it once you get your site up.
    Most developer/designer sites should have at least the following:

1) Home Page (brief intro/what the customer can expect/outline your business). If you do an effective job of this then you won't need to put "I'm a webdesigner" in the banner......you can put "Joofhart's Web Design" if that is the name of your company/business.......but you don't have to put you are a web designer in there.
    If you do an effective intro, then no need to be redundant.
    2) About Page (don't use "us" since most likely it is just you. There is no us) Talk about your experience, your customer philosophy, commitments or guarantees of service and other info that pertains to the site (web designing).
    Nobody will care about your collection of Pokemon cards or any other personal info....so don't put a bunch of that stuff in there.
    3) Contact Page (phone/email/address) Give users more than one way to contact you. Brand your email though. Don't have a hotmail or yahoo account. Use your domain email. Gives you a more professional look.
    4) Portfolio Page (stating the obvious here). Don't make the mistake of only putting up a couple of things. Have a decent portfolio to put up and give a variety of examples.
    Even if you have to create some fake sites (samples, really) have a selection of what your work looks like. Starting out you won't have a lot of examples of actual clients, but you can have mock up of sites you have done already.
    5) Pricing Page (optional, but it can help potential customers). Don't ever put a set price (unless it is by the hour) on your site. EVERY customer will have different needs and you don't want to quote something that will wind up costing you money or time. About hourly prices. Most customers don't like them. They like to know "what is it going to cost me". Just have a "call for pricing or call for custom quote".
    6) Services Page (do you only offer web design?) You may want to have a list of services if you do more than just web design (graphic design, logos, brochures, etc).

A good design is needed, that is a given. You want a potential customer to look at your site and say "that looks good, I want them to do my site".
    Don't lose track of navigation and content. Make it easy to navigate, but the absolute most important thing is to have good content.
    No "under construction" pages. Launch it will all the content. Proof it, have someone else proof it and then you proof it again.
    Good content will answer all the questions a potential customer has and get you business.
    No content or bad content, they will just move on to someone else.

Hope that answers your questions.
    Good luck.......
    GMan

Member #
    hey thanx man. i have been looking up colors for my website that other webdesigners use and are very popular
    like blue/white is popular i seen a few green/white
    and a few just white pages that alot of webdesigners use as a color.

should i follow suit it seems to be very popular and, it might be for legibility dunno.

Member #
    It is up to you. Depends on your personality, clients, the type of business you want to cater to, etc.
    Blue/White is a safe business color.
    Just pick something that you like and a color scheme that will compliment your site.
    Good luck.......
    GMan

Remove Ads