Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I am planning to enter into the field of web design but I have a hard time finding out which school I should attend. I have heard from several people that this is something you learn on your own, online through tutorials or forums such as this one. I have been reading up on an Oreilly book about HTML and CSS and played around with the coding from several sites. however, I do not consider myself advancing or learning at a good rate. I am considering go to school but I am unsure which schools are good at teaching this material in California. I am not strictly trying to learn the coding aspect, but also the design as well. Art Institute Santa Monica or Art Institute of San Diego? I have been living in SD for the last 5 years and I love it down there. However, due to some personal reasons, I may have to move back up to L.A. So I am thinkin about attending the school in santa monica. Has anyone in this forum attended any one these schools. Any advice or input in deciding which school to enroll in? I am planning to major in Interactive Media Design which focuses on graphics/web design (including HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, etc.) Does anyone know if there is a difference in terms of curriculum and finding a job between these two places?

Thanks,

Jason

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I graduated from the art institude of Houston a few years ago. Although it helped fuel my interest it did little in the way of preparing me for a career in webdesgin even though I have a degree in multimedia/webdesign. They taught a class on HTML, a bit on CSS, and made me aware that javascript and perl existed. Also, any instruction I got in the way of design was haphazard at best. Of course my class was the first to go though this new program since webdesign was a new field when i started the program back in 1999. Im sure the instruction has improved and the curriculum has tightened up but you are still dealing with a subject that changes on a regular basis and trying to find instructors who know the material well enough to develop a curriculum is difficult at best.

As coincidential as it may seem, my brother attented the Art Institue of Santa Monica for Culinary Arts, and he said that they are more organized than the one here.

However, I personaly belive that it is better to learn on your own and read as much up to date material as you can. This is because you will learn at a much quicker pace than you will in a class room, and you will retain more information. This is because the pace of the material you will learn is generally drawn to accomodate the slowest link. The only benifits I see to attending a school is the oppertunity to be around alot of people who share a common interest (this makes networking with peers is very easy), and you are guided though the material. This in turn means you dont have to think about what your learning witch ironically almost negates the pourpose of learning to begin with. It's practically an artificial progress bar of 'what you should know at this point'.

Unless you are dead set on earning a degree (wich is almost usless unless), I say hit the books, turn your computer on and just start somewhere. Specalize in one area but learn or at least become familar with others. Network with your peers and work off of eachothers strengths. If your design skills are better than your coding skills, team up with a code raccoon, and visa versa.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I doubt you'll learn much in school than what you already know ... unless Zeldman is teaching then I'd get my booty in there :laugh:

Seriously, look at sites displayed on CSS showcase site like CSSMania, CSSRemix and the likes. Check out the trends and replicated them on your own and evolve with them. Don't think you'll get all this stuff down in a month. Work at it and like glyakk said above

turn your computer on and just start somewhere. Specalize in one area but learn or at least become familar with others.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    So School is not the way to go in this field eh? This is quite strange and I do believe its also true. Any books or tutorials that you would recommend? I guess I consider myself a step above beginners level and a step below intermediate level for XHTML and CSS right now. I am trying to search for a good tutorial/book on how to learn the layout of a design. Topics such as absolute and float properties are confusing me. any suggestions? thx

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Books? See my sig. I read them and they are GREAT!

Links of interest:

Alistapart.com
    BonRouge
    SitePoint Forums FAQ

This forums tutorial section too

There are more but that should get you started in the right direction
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]

Member #
    Thanks Karine,
    I know the basics behind the HTML and CSS process but I have trouble creating a website still. I am attempting to learn to create a tableless CSS layout but I am very confused with absolute and fixed, relative positioning, etc. Dont know when to use what and in what combination to make things work. I checked out one of the links you provided: http://bonrouge.com/3c-hf-fixed.php.

What is the backround image referrin to???
    #wrap {
    background:url(bg780.gif) top left repeat-y;
    min-height:100%;
    width:780px;
    margin:auto;
    position:relative;
    }

and what is this inner wrap: after?? also what does this display block ?
    #inner-wrap:after {
    content:" ";
    display:block;
    clear:both;
    }

I know I have much to learn and it doesnt seem like I can get hold of website that can teach me this thoroughly. I have been lost these last few days trying to figure this concept out. Please provide some help.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Whoa! Slow down there man! Go at it slowly ... don't try to grasp everything in the first few days 'cause you can't. I've been add it for 2 years and there are still things I'm unsure of. Reading those 2 books in my sig helped quite a bit with getting an insight into all this XHTML and CSS stuff. Start with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonChan
    What is the backround image referrin to???
    #wrap {
    background:url(bg780.gif) top left repeat-y;
    min-height:100%;
    width:780px;
    margin:auto;
    position:relative;
    }
    You mean you don't understand that whole background statement? Have you checked out W3's info on it? Background property.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonChan
    and what is this inner wrap: after?? also what does this display block ?
    #inner-wrap:after {
    content:" ";
    display:block;
    clear:both;
    }
    Same thing here with the :after pseudo-element

display: block basically just display the element as a block (div) instead of an inline element (like p, span and img are a few)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What do you mean by `what is it referring to'?

Remove Ads