Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi

I really like this site www.one.com but I'm not sure how to use the same design principle for my own site.

I can create the gradient for the background and display it on a page but I'm not sure how to go about creating the main box. Do I need to create the gradient and the shape in photoshop and use them as the background. Or would I use the gradient as the background and then create the shape as a seperate css value (i.e. #contentcentre)?

Also, why is it using a frameset, is it easier to do it this way?

Thanks for any help.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    If you put your mouse over portions of the boxes (with Firefox) and
    right-click, you can view the background images and see how they
    created them.

Various portions of their box are made up of sections of images with diagonal
    slanted sides. By using .gif type images, they can define a transparent color so
    that the gradient background images shows through.

Member #
    Ok, so the gradient is the background and they have sliced the box image up and positioned it over the gradient?

What I want to know is, when I design the background image in photoshop should I have 1 image as the gradient, then design a seperate image for the box and slice that up?

Or do you design just 1 image with the gradient AND the box in the same image and slice that up?

I'm just trying to find out what the best way is to do it.

Also, if I wanted to position it by css do I still have to slice an image in photoshop (or whatever) but I don't export it as html and just position the slices of the image via css - is that correct?

Member #
    To create the background and keep it to a reasonable file size, create the gradient and then take a slice full height by 1px wide. Set this as the background of the container with a horizontal repeat then position the rest of the content. One other thing; DONT! use a frameset like One.com
    End of Line.

Member #
    Thankyou both

Remove Ads