Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I have a client that will have several drop down boxes as inputs, and based on the input a link will be produced.

Example: If the customer was in Saskatchewan, and was looking for an attorney, they would choose the province then the option for attorney in the drop down, and then based on those selections they would get a link to a page about attornies in SK.

Which language would work best for this?
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    any language would work
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I kinda figured as much, but the client thinks he needs a database. (I intended to add this to the first post, but my daughter was screaming that she was through with supper and needed a bath.)

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    php is what I suggest with some javascript. And a database is always good when you want to have multiple option.
    php and MySql your client will like the result.

Member #
    Thanks, I was leanin towards PHP, but wanted to hear other opinions.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I sugguest rails for its ease of use and shallow learning curve. It is extreamly robust and fully featured. There is a ton of info about it online and there is a small section dedicated to it here on WDF in the Ruby forum. It is fairly new but it is an extreamly solid platform that I belive will stand the test of time.

I suggest PHP as a very close second only because it has a huge userbase, and popularity. You will find no shortage of developers who can help you.

Member #
    Thanks, I am in the process of reading Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, but haven't gotten to the point where I could do something of this magnitude in Ruby.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think you could (do something of this magnitude with Ruby, I mean). Rails is very convention-oriented. The only thing you *really* need to know is iterators, and if you have any trouble, we're always here :-)

I think the issue you'll find with Rails right now is the number of webhosts offering it is still somehwat limited, and those who do still may not have the hang of it so the service may not be as great as it could be.

Member #
    This project is still in it's early changes, and all that I am doing on it is the backend stuff, so I am going to find out if the host will support the RoR, if so I will use it. I have plenty of time before I will have to even start on this, as they are still putting the information together. From what I have read, Ruby looks easy to learn and use.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by -chris-
    This project is still in it's early changes, and all that I am doing on it is the backend stuff, so I am going to find out if the host will support the RoR, if so I will use it. I have plenty of time before I will have to even start on this, as they are still putting the information together. From what I have read, Ruby looks easy to learn and use.
    When you do get around to Rails, I would highly, higly recommend the book Agile Web Development with Rails. I've been using it, and it is extremely good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads