Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Yo,

I'm designing a site for someone and they've requested that I use a font called Frutiger for the site, but it seems that a lot of people (me included) won't have this font installed on their cpu, so I was wondering what people what you guys would recommend as a substitue. There's an example of the font on the good ol' Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frutiger

I reckon Verdana but that's probably cos I have a thing for it and use it all the time anyways.

Cheers ears
    Nick

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Verdana does look pretty close.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Of course you have the right idea that many people will not have that font on their system so it will not work as they are hoping. The only fonts that I would consider safe since there is a good chance that it is installed on Windows, Mac, and Linux are: Arial, Georgia, Courier New, Times New Roman, Verdana, Trebuchet.

There are a few others that are also well supported on all platforms but dont I dont see their usefulness such as: Comic Sans, Arial Black, and Impact.

Verdana happens to be my most valued choice and the one I use on the vast majority of the projects I use and think it would be a good substitute but would encourage you to also look into Trebuchet since it seems to match Frutiger a bit more and is widly supported.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I took the liberty to put all three fonts side by side and attatch the image so you may decide for yourself.

Frutiger is on top trebuchet in the middle and verdana on bottom. Fruiger 47condense, and the other two regular. All at 24pt and set to crip antialising in photoshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    < sigh >. You set me off on a long Wikipediaing of a bunch of typefaces. Damn you! :-D

Member #
    Hmm, it's nice to know I have an influence on peoples' lives... even nicer to know it's not necessarily a positive one.

BTW, decided to stick with Verdana. I had a mess about with Trebuchet MS but decided that verdana looks friendlier. I'll post the URL when it's up and running, but I would imagine I'll be asking for plenty more help before that happens.

Nick

Member #
    You could always make images with Frutiger if the client has their heart set on it. Or you could set the font-family to Frutiger, Verdana, etc. so when the client looks at it, they will see Frutiger.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads