Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,
    I am practically a newbie at web designing. So far I have only done a little bit of coding in java and c++. I want to build a social networking site like myspace/hi5/face book. But I am completely confused by the wealth of information on the net. Can anyone enlighten me these questions regarding this. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    My thanks,
    Omi

1st question: Are the Owners of myspace/hi5/face book build the website themselves or do they hire someone?
    2nd question: If yes, What program have they used or what do I have to learn to build something similar?
    3rd question: How difficult is it to build something like this?

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    It looks to me like a lot of ColdFusion files/applications (.cfm file extensions)
    are used. They probably did all of the scripting themselves. It was started by
    a couple of young people (in 1999 I think). Sort of the same way Ebay started.

The key to success is the hype it has created, which allows them to charge megabucks
    for advertising. If you can draw people to your site (for whatever reason), you'll
    have the same huge success.

Come up with something people like and create a buzz ... make it the "in" place to go.

Member #
    I see, so it is not much about how technically brillian the website is, rather it is more like how popular/trendy you can make it?

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    exactly ...

In fact, there are several forums and blogs that discuss how poorly myspace.com
    has been made. They never expected it to be that popular (I would guess).

If you can find a niche, or something that someone says "wow! why didn't I
    think of that". ... and get a bandwagon started, get the attention of advertisers.

The million dollar pixel page is a prime example.
    Now, everyone is trying to do that, but the idea is passe.

I was involved in the internet before it started, when CompuServe had an
    old fashioned BBS (with a 2400 baud modem). Why didn't I buy a bunch of
    great domain names when I had the chance ... and re-sell them? doh!

Member #
    myspace does look nothing special at all, yet it got so big. What I dont get is that before myspace got this big, I mean when it just started to get a little popular why didn't someone else came along with a better version of myspace. All they had to do was just capitalize on the myspace's weakness (poor design) and offer people something better.

Member #
    I think facebook tryed, but their limited viewing of users limited its growth.

(by the way, i HATE myspace)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by freeTheInternet
    I think facebook tryed, but their limited viewing of users limited its growth.

(by the way, i HATE myspace)
    What would you rate the difficulty of making a website like facebook? How hard is it? Can a decent web deb do it?How good are you guys?

Member #
    One could create one by his/her self, but there would have be a team of people to keep it running.

Member #
    I think that anyone can make anything on the web. There are thousands of scripts, books and help forums for when you get stuck. The only factor is time really.

You need an idea, if you want to make a friends networking site then you need something that makes it stand out. Its already been overdone and trying to drag people away from their beloved myspace is going to be difficult. If you had a bunch of features which were unique or new to that type of site then you would have a much better chance of getting a large number of users.

To get a really popular site you either need to be the first one there or you need to reinvent something which already exists.

I actually made a myspace profile... logged in about twice. About two weeks after joining myspace i got an invite to hi5. I registered to see what it offered and it was effectively the same as myspace. I got bored before i even made a profile. Now if hi5 offered something new, like voice chat or Mirc channels to usergroups then i would of joined. Innovation is the key to tackling already established markets on the internet.

As for a newbie making sites, you first need to understand the basics with your language of choice. Then you can break down your website idea into user features and build it up bit by bit. There are plenty of scripts and support forums floating around which will help you develop your website.

Good luck with whatever you have planned. Just remember to break down what you want to do and build it bit by bit. Also if you have some great new idea it might be better to keep it to yourself until you either make it yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think you can do it and maintain it on your own at first. But you have to follow good programming practices, and those take years to learn. Otherwise you end up with spaghetti code that is eventually impossible to maintain.

Once a site gets popular however, as someone pointed out, you need more than one person to keep it running.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads