Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys. My name is Adam Iím 16 years old, and I'm from the UK. Just to give a brief introduction. I recently got interested in web design through ICT in school, we had to use FrontPage to create a website. I found it very enjoyable, and wanted to do more. This is maybe why I found myself here today. Anyway I know the basics of html, and I'm still learning through tutorials on the internet.

My main questions are
    • I want to have a website up and running fairly soon, what programme would be best to create a website? And do I need anything else apart from hosting and a domain name?
    • I want to know XHTML, CSS and other languages, should I wait until I know html thoroughly before moving onto further languages?
    • And finally, when I get a website up and running, I was thinking of adding some forum software, I'm lead to believe V-bulletin is the best, how much knowledge of html etc.. will I need to know before adding this to my website, is it possible to have the forum linked with my the website I will be designing or will I have to acquire two separate websites, one for the website and one for the form?
    Sorry for the very basic questions, but sure you have to start somewhere.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, XHTML and CSS go hand in hand. You can't do one properly without the other. This is because CSS should be used for visual appearance and XHTML for structure, so without CSS your site will look horrible (or should).

To get a website up and running quickly... Well... I'd advise you learn XHTML and CSS, look for some help, and do it that way. Using programs like FrontPage will only give you horrible code.

Concerning fora -- the problem with vBulletin is that it costs money. There are other forum programs out there, also based on PHP, that are free -- though granted, not necessarily better. phpBB is the first one that comes to my mind. You shouldn't need any HTML to get these running, but your web server will need to run PHP. This should be possible on the same site as you do any other content.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Well, XHTML and CSS go hand in hand. You can't do one properly without the other. This is because CSS should be used for visual appearance and XHTML for structure, so without CSS your site will look horrible (or should).

To get a website up and running quickly... Well... I'd advise you learn XHTML and CSS, look for some help, and do it that way. Using programs like FrontPage will only give you horrible code.

Concerning fora -- the problem with vBulletin is that it costs money. There are other forum programs out there, also based on PHP, that are free -- though granted, not necessarily better. phpBB is the first one that comes to my mind. You shouldn't need any HTML to get these running, but your web server will need to run PHP. This should be possible on the same site as you do any other content.
    Ok, so basically XHTML is just a newer more flexible version of html?? CSS I don't have a clue about, but I am going to purchase a book this weekend. When you say it improves visual appearnace you mean colours, background layout etc.. How does css improve this? Curious minds lol.

As for the forum. I've heard phpbb has half the features of vbulletin, doesn't look as good, and is far less secure. So wether I am will to pay for it remains to be seen. I must look into that as well.

Thanks for answer the questions!

Regards, AJ.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    XHTML is the same as HTML, but cleaned up so it's valid XML as well. You do need to know at least some XHTML before learning CSS, or you'll have no idea what your CSS is supposed to do.

phpBB does often have security vulnerabilities, but vBulletin has them sometimes. vBulletin is what I use here, although there are quite a few free competitors in the same market.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    XHTML is basically the future of html. I like to think of it as html without the fluff, a strict and unflexible language. If you no html then you know xhtml, you just need to learn which tags you can and cannot use with it.

CSS is used format the html. So if you had a paragraph of text you can change the font, size, colour, add background pictures, hide the text, add borders, add padding, change the texts location and soo much more with CSS.

This is a much better thing to do that use html to format your webpage. CSS allows you do everything in a clean way. Also it lets you format all your webpages at once, this saves time on coding and gives you site a nice uniform look.

----

You asked as to what languages you need to make your website. What features will your website have? You are going to need XHTML and CSS for appearance. If you want something a bit more sophisticated you might want to learn flash and some actionscript. Perhaps php and mysql. Whatever tickles your fancy.

VBulletin is the leading forum provider as far as i am aware. PHPBB though is a better place to start. Security vulnerabilities come up with every piece of software... look at windows for example *rolls eyes*

phpBB is free and when you first download it you get the basics. But everything is customizable and the community is fantastic with thousands of mods and support for everything.

phpBB powers this... http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/index.php

I think this shows almost anything can be done. It would be better to have free forum software on a new site, especially with your experience. If you site takes off you are bound to do redesigns. Switching to VBulletin when you have a decent community would mean that you wouldn't waste your money if your site amounted to nothing.

Remove Ads