Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,
    I'm 45 yrs old, former Printed media proffesional. I know very well Photoshop, and Corel and, in the beginning of my carrier used to be an excellent progrmmer in Clipper (dBase III files .exe programming platrform)
    I have the ability, to invest two years now and study in order to become a succesfull web desinger. I learned Corel in one month and same for Photoshop. I 'm a quick learner. What are the programms of programming languages thata are absolutely essential in order to produce hi quality comersial sites?
    Flash 7, Dreamweaver, Access, Javascript, Java ? I want to be able, after studying all that time to produce both static and interactive sites, with animations, and also with databases and in many cases input from the users. An example of the total ability I would like to have (if poissible) is this site www.plaisio.gr and this site www.pathfinder.gr Of course Flash 7 is something I will definitely study as it's comming very close to the knowledge I allready have.
    Thanking you in advance for your answers

Member #
    First off you should learn CSS and XHTML, although they're both quite simple, flash is useful to learn but can cause accesibility problems javascript seems to be the lang of the minute...

Member #
    Dido for this question.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by solidgold
    First off you should learn CSS and XHTML, although they're both quite simple, flash is useful to learn but can cause accesibility problems javascript seems to be the lang of the minute...
    CSS it's a separate language? It has to do with Database management? XHTML you mean XML? I should use flash rather in animations only than in site management? Should I use a comercial product as Front Page of Dreamweaver in order to save time, or, in the procceeding of maintaining the site I will get complicated problems? Thanking you in advance again

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    CSS is not a seperate language its a seperate technolgoy, it has nothing to do with databases. Are you familiar with abstract layers? Seperating certing functions so they may be edited independinatly without altering another. CSS allows you to alter how your page looks(among other things) without altering your markup. XHTML is a dirivitave of XML that looks and behaves almost identically to HTML by design. It is the markup langage of choice, but regular HTML will work just fine.

Personally, I would encourage you to dump front page and dreamweaver. They might allow you to start creating basic sites quickly, but they will start to engrain terriable practices that you will have to eventually unlearn as you move away from them.

Flash is fantistic to learn but unless you are dead eye wonderful at it I woudlnt even bother. Alternativly, It does make for a nice hobby to tinker with though.

My advice, pick up a free editor(or pay for one if you like). Eventually you will want to learn a specific scripting language like PHP, Rails, etc and there are a number of editors specifically designed for them as well. There are editors specifically designed for just about everything.

Member #
    In brief What would you suggest as a personal studying program for 2 years? A comersial site needs both advertising (animated or not) plus database management and parameter-handling text input management (same as this forum). At the beginning, when I start moving as a webdesign proffesional I will have to do it all by my self. I already know Photoshop and Corel, and i have been making sites with both graphics and animations (made basically on Corel RAVE 2). That's all. What would you suggest as a time shedule for the above skills to be fluent (2 years plan). Thank you again

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    well unfortunatly designing a sort of 'lesson plan' would be difficult at best. Its almost like telling a mechanic what tools he should use, everybody has their prefernce and I can only share mine. Having said that I am sure withen two years you should be able to amass enough knowledge to be quite proficent in most concepts and be chugging along well. I would brush up on XHTML/CSS first, then move into more complicated concepts like a scripting language and database managment.

For that, I reccomend learning Ruby for Rails development. I suggest you head over here to get some more information. Rails is a web development platform based on the Ruby programing language. Its biggest advantages is it splits web development into its traditional three layers, Model, Crontrol, and View. This means that your work is much easier to organize. One of its biggest draw backs though is its lack of support and people knowledgable in using it since it is still fairly new. Also, it still carries a sort of 'fad' aura around it but I belive that will soon wane since rails has proven itself to be a very powerful platform for even huge 'enterprise applications'. (God i hate that term but its the easiest to relate to)

The close second alternative I would have for you unless you are a die hard nerd(Java) or Microsoft fanatic(ASP) is PHP. It is an amazing platform to use and has a huge community full of people willing to help you out. It is well supported and virtually every webhost supports it. The learning curve is not so bad either.

Javascript is also making a good comeback since the adoption of AJAX for dynamic content as well as XML if you want to get into the heart of the beast. Javascript is a client side scripting language and XML is an infinatly extensiable markup languge much like HTML in many ways. I would become familar with them at least on a basic level.

To summerize you need to first have your basic markup skills in order using Xhtml, then learn how to use CSS to 'style' that markup. That will be a big part of the battle. Then start learing some type of scripting language.. Ruby(rails), PHP, ASP, JAVA(struts), cold fusion, etc.. also become familar with SQL witch is the de facto language of for all relational databases like MySQL, MSQl, PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc.. and even pick one of them to specalize in, the most common by far is MySQL and its the one I suggest you use until you have reason to swtich to another. One more thing you want to become aware of is your webserver, usually apache but lighttpd is on the rise as well. Once you got all that down its just a matter of practice.

Member #
    Definitely as a former print designer, I have to be able to add animation banners to the sites I create. It's an indipendant market the creation of advertizing animated banners. So I definitely have to consider some of my 2-year study plan for a web design animation programm. Under this view, which programm would you suggest? Flash or Corel Rave?
    I have been using Corel Rave and, as an excellent Corel Draw user, I liked it a lot. Very easy and very sharp. But the programm was crashing times over times especially on complicated groups in groups objects. I have stoped on the version 12 of Corel. Is there a later verison of Corel Rave which is more stable?
    Thanking you again

Member #
    Thank you very much glyakk. Your answer seems to be state of the art about the subject. So
    1. HTML + CSS for the beginnin.
    2. Then either Ruby, ASP (in I am a microsoft maniac, well I'm non quite one) or Java(I've heard is the more popular language today)
    3. SQL with perfection preferably in My SQL for the databases
    4. Either Flash 7 or Corel Rave for advertising animated banners
    Except No4 which I can calculate it myself, due to previous experience, what times would you give for parts 1.2.and 3. considering 4-5 hours study per day? For a stupid student (lol)
    Last question. Lot of discussion is being around Javascript. Sorry for asking but the name comes close to Java. If I spent my time learning Java, wouldn't I be capable to manage Javascript as well?

Thanking you again, your answers help me a great deal

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Java is nowhere near the same as javascript the only similarities are four letters. If you feel the urge, Java is good to learn but has a very difficult learning curve. Just dont base it on popularity, learn about each and make a decision on that research.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads