Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello ppl,

thought i would see what your tips for freelance web design work are?

I have only done a few web sites and when i took 1 project on (for free may i add, just to get experience) i didn't realise the amount of work which i could take on. the client liked to update the code themselves and really i was fixing errors non-stop!!!!:dead:

lesson learned - don't let the client update the site!

any other tips.

can/should i define any sorta pre-contract (if so... how?)

what should i ask for in the brief?

any advise would be benefcial

thanks in advance

Member #
    Contract
    Its impossible to create a website without one. The contract needs to cover the scope of the project. The client should be allowed to ask to change the scope but at the same time you should have the right to reject these changes or increase the price of the project to cater for the change.

You also need to say how the client will pay and what will happen if they don't pay.

Without a contract people are just going to take you for a ride.

The Brief
    The client should be specify everything from the style to the features that they want. The project i am working on currently came with a 3 page brief and in my eyes it was pretty short. I find myself constantly e-mailing the client to get more information on the project.

The brief should contain everything you need to make a website for the client.

Member #
    cheers 4 the quick reply.

a quesion about the contract;

do i need a lawyer to draw up or sign the contact is it a matter of us agreeing and signing it. also if we are not near each other how is it best to send it to them, post, e-mail, fax? does it matter as long as they get it?

cheers

Member #
    Anyone can make a contract, i made mine after googling web design contract. I got a couple up and looked for common themes. I then drew my contract up accordingly.

With my contract i signed, scanned and e-mailed my contract. My client then did the same.

Member #
    this book will answer so many questions you have about freelance it is ridiculous. I loved this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Start-Home-Bas...e=UTF8&s=books

Member #
    :thumbsup: cheers guys!

Remove Ads