Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello all,

My wife has designed her website using Dreamweaver 4.0.

Looks just as she wants it to when viewed with Firefox inside Windows but when viewed in Firefox using Linux the text wants to overlap the graphics below it.

See link below for those with Linux.

http://www.smokesignalsfarm.com/Mares.html

I guess my question is, how should she go about making sure that her website shows up well in the various os's and browsers?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    In FF on PC I get text overlapping images ... is that what you mean (see attachement)

Attachment 2499

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk
    My wife has designed her website using Dreamweaver 4.0.

I guess my question is, how should she go about making sure that her website shows up well in the various os's and browsers?
    First of all DW4 ... that's like ... REALLY old! :ermm: DW is at 8 now. And frankly, if you're gonna use DW WYSIWYG to create your page, I suggest the latest version since it creates page much better than older versions. I still doesn't produce the best code in the world but it's much better than before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    :disappointed: We appear to have more problems than we thought.

Yours has overlaps on the horizontal plain and the page seems to run off the right hand side, whereas mine, when viewing in linux, has overlaps on the verticle plain. As in overlapping the text under it. This gets progressively worse as you travel down the page.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I would agree with karinne (as I often do) that Dreamweaver 4 is ancient and you'll mostly just waste your time trying to fix your page in it. It's going to create code that's designed for browsers like Netscape 4 and IE5, not for browsers like Firefox, IE7, Opera, Safari, etc.

Try using a free 30-day trial of Dreamweaver 8: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...ct=dreamweaver .

Firefox on Linux will use a different font smoothing and rendering technique, so some pages will look different; it's unavoidable.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    karinne and filburt1,

Thank you for your responses. She has managed to make it look better by removing the green horizontal dividers.

We cannot afford the newest DW at this time but I do understand your comments about it. Perhaps I can get her to try Screem or something else a bit newer and affordable/free.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Probably not what you want to hear but the best affordable/free solution would be to learn how to code HTML/XHTML/CSS yourself and to stay away of WYSIWYG part of editors. There are PLENTY of free resources on the web for you/your wife to learn from ... including this forum.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Well I wouldn't say buy Dreamweaver. It's a love/hate relationship: it's the best IDE I've found so far for generic web editing, but it still sucks at so many things: debugging, WYSIWYG editing, advanced editing (real code folding that detects braces and code blocks, not select-a-block-to-collapse-it)...

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    No worries about us buying it.

My wife does have a bit of experience with html. Now, xhtml and css on the other hand...

She does love to learn and a long, cold winter is coming.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    For a good headstart grab the books in my sig. They are a great way to start learning about Web Standards. They are essential on every designers book shelf.

There's also Pro CSS Technique that's coming out soon. The guys who wrote it (Jeff Croft, Ian Lloyd, Dan Rubin) are the best in the business.

I'll probably be grabbing it too :glasses:

Here's a pretty extensive book list with reviews by Roger himself. Note the Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way

Member #
    One Suggestion for solving a lot of these problems is to validate your code to the web standards(W3.org). There validator is located at http://validator.w3.org

Also if your wife would like some help with the avoidance of alot of these errors I am available to assist her... I am currently using DreamWeaver 8. And my services are free...

Examples of Pages I have created:
    http://www.biblekjv.net
    http://www.cuanonline.com
    http://www.arrclan.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads