Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Wow, going through the forum here has really overwhelmed me. Seeing some of the websites people are making really make me realize how basic my websites are haha. Anyway can anyone give me some basic help as to where to begin learning to make better than basic websites? I have said in a previous post that I have been using Dreamweaver and Photoshop but everything I know is all self taught. Are there any good tutorials that can teach me the basics to advanced of these programs? Or is this the way to go? Help Please Help!!

Thanks
    JohnnyFever

Member #
    Here are a few links to start ya off:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

http://www.wpdfd.com/editorial/basics/

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/css.cfm

All of these pertain to CSS, and I am assuming that having designed websites for a while that you have a basic knowledge of HTML. There are tutorials here at WDF, on both HTML and CSS, as well as all over the web (Google is your friend).

If you still need help, then we are here!
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    At some point, you'll want to get into dynamic pages instead of static pages.
    You'll want to look into some PHP and/or PHP/MySQL tutorials.

But learn your basics ... HTML, XHTML, CSS

Dreamweaver is OK, but don't be afraid to hammer out your own code
    using Notepad. The WYSIWYG programs seem to add a lot of unnecessary code,
    making it difficult to troubleshoot problems.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    One good way to learn is to check out some nice, well-designed site and just copy the code ... change a few things ... see what that does and play around with the whole thing.

Look at some CSS (and other) showcase sites, a few site with some great tips and a few more with tutorials

Hope some of these help .. and while you're at it, you might wanna grab a few good books (also see sig).
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Thank you all...i'm always looking for more advice! So basically css is just like working with layers right? I went to one of the sites that Chris had a link to and it showed what happened when you changed the code. Thanks again all and hope to hear from more of you.
    JohnnyFever

Member #
    Do you want to be an all round designer, a web developer or a purely design person (graphic designer?)

You should start off by working out what makes a good site, i think this is an excellent place to start.

From here i think you should work on design. Start off with the basic appearance. Then add things like rollovers, perhaps a little bit of flash to enhance but not overwhelm your site. This will give you a good foundation, post what you make here and we can give you pointers on things to improve.

Once you have mastered HTML/CSS you can then choose what you want to go into. If you have head for coding then you will want to pick up javascript and php. Personally i would recommend giving php a go first simply because then you play with databases and make cool dynamic pages.

Either way once you know 1 you will be able to walk into the other as they are pretty similar.

From there is practice, practice, practice

EDIT

CSS lets you manipulate the way the page is displayed. The best example of this is www.csszengarden.com/ Have a look through. The source code is identical but the CSS is different. You can see from this what you can do with some well structured HTML and good CSS skills.

Member #
    Don't feel overwhelmed. Coding is like writing: If you want to be a good writer, you have write, write and then write some more. When I first started out, I used http://www.htmlgoodies.com a lot! Soon, you'll view code like Neo in the Matrix.

Member #
    I have to say that there is a lot of good info here. I to am new and really just have my experience with graphic design. This seems like a friendly flame free zone as opposed to other boards I have lurked. I look forward to participating wheneve I am able

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Using CSS is nothing like layers in dreamweaver. What dreamweaver calls layers are mutations of CSS with some Javascript thrown in. Think of CSS like this.. if there were such a thing as a tree and apple tag in HTML that is..
    HTML Code:
    <tree>This is my tree loaded with apples.
      <apple>This is my first apple</apple>
      <apple class="rottenalapple">This is my second apple</apple>
      <apple>This is my third apple</apple>
    </tree>
    Naturally your browser would have some preset defaults about what the apple will look like. It might make it small and red and enbed the apples in your tree. This is the default way all apples would behave, but what if you wanted to change that? You can use CSS to alter all or just some of the apples, and even the tree or anything else you had in your document.
    Code:
    apple {
      background: blue;
      position: absolute;
      bottom: 0px;
      border: red 2px dashed;
    }
    This would change quite a bit about your apple object. You will notice that the color of your apples would no longer be red but blue, and they would all be located on the ground insead of up in the tree since you altered its position with the position and bottom properties. you also defined a whole new property, border, that was not even part of the orgional object, so it will now have a dashed border 2pixles wide.

You could also allow your CSS to alter a specific part of your page by using the 'class' and 'id' attributes in your HTML. If you notice in the HTML above i gave one of the apples a class of 'rottenapple'. I will take advantage of that to change only that one apple.
    Code:
    apple.rottenapple {
      background: brown;
      border: brown 0px solid;
    }
    You would see that the second apple on the ground is now brown with no border, it still is on the ground because I did not alter its position from where I set it earlier for all aples. A full discussion of selectors is far out of the scope of this post but i want to make you aware that there are others out there. I hope I helped you grasp what CSS is and some of its concepts with such a simplistic example.

Member #
    the way that i learned CSS was by copy and pasting the code from http://www.joe2torials.com/view_tutorial.php?view=62

then tinkering around with it for a while; its quite easy to develop a massive learning curve simply by doing that!

best of luck,
    solidgold

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads