Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm using frontpage to create my first "business" website for someone... I've never used frontpage to create my entire site, let alone a few pages, but I've recently noticed the thing at the bottom that tells you how long it takes for someone to load a page... It says that, at 56 kbps, it would take 39 seconds... now, I'm not TOTALLY finished the page yet, but I dont have much more... To be safe, lets say it said 45 seconds when I completely finished the page: is this an appropriate amount of time? Obviously, not many people have interenet connections as slow as 56 kbps in todays world, but its all relative..... So, would you say this is an acceptable page size? What IS an acceptable amount of time (at which speed) for each page?

Once this question gets answered, I have a related question I'll post about loading pictures.... Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Member #
    What?!

Myself, have never used Frontpage, so I am not familar with this "how long a page takes" thingy.. is this calculated by Frontpage or a server side script?

45 seconds is about 5 times more than the maximum time people will wait for a page to download and render.

They say that you have 10 seconds, furthermore, the .Net magazine had an article stating some canadian college had found that users made up their mind on a particular webpage in .5 of a second, but anyway.

Your page should not take that long.

What is the file size?

Edit: Maybe some settings are off-setting this time feature..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    What?!

Myself, have never used Frontpage, so I am not familar with this "how long a page takes" thingy.. is this calculated by Frontpage or a server side script?

45 seconds is about 5 times more than the maximum time people will wait for a page to download and render.

They say that you have 10 seconds, furthermore, the .Net magazine had an article stating some canadian college had found that users made up their mind on a particular webpage in .5 of a second, but anyway.

Your page should not take that long.

What is the file size?

Edit: Maybe some settings are off-setting this time feature..
    its calculated by Frontpage itself.... And, remember, that time is at 56 kbps... which is ATLEAST 5 times SLOWER than the average internet user is using today...
    The page (index.htm) file is 4kb, the navigation bar (inclding 8 custom made buttons) will total about 56kb, and the background is a jpg file at 115kb. It is in jpeg because its a scenic picture and needs to look its nicest.
    So.. the question stands,, but altered.... is the size of the page acceptable at 175kb? What would be the maximum acceptable page size?

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    The background's too big size-wise.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Yes, the background is too large. Without seeing the navigation bar, I'm guessing it might be capable of better compression or something as they rarely take up that much space.

Compress or blur the background more; if it's the background, it isn't as important as the content images.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    which file format should I use then? I want to keep quality, and Ive alredy shrunk it as much as I'm comfortable with.
    as for the navigation bar, I have been able to shring it down to a total of about 30-32 kb.

so... thoughts on this now?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Without seeing the images or page, it's not possible to recommend anything.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    mm... ill have it up on the net in a week or so.... until then, i cant do much.. so, ill move on to my other question..
    Ive read about preloaded images and Im interested... Ive got 3 pages which will each contain a thumbnail of 8-10 pictures which, when clicked, will open up to its full size in another page. Full size will be about 1024x768, or maybe the next standard size down... either way, I'd like to have those thumbnails load as quickly as possible. How would I do this if I had each one at, say 314x209? Is preloading those images while on a different page, the best idea?

Member #
    In the old days the recommended page size was around 30K total for all graphics and text. By today's standards it's gotta be much higher. Does anyone know what the general consensus is on this?
    Christopher Powers
    c.powers@performingjobs.com
    PerformingJobs

Remove Ads