Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    A friend of mine just opened his own computer shop in town and he hired me as his web designer, and were trying to figure out what is a good price to charge to a web site. Right now I have a job updating a web site for the chamber of commerce in my area and its a 50 page site but not everything needs updated. Just stuff like adding some pages, changing pictures, fixing some issues with the footer on the page, changing peoples names, and adding the new links to the navigation (on every page :angry: ) im charging her $25 a page for the pages i have to make and add, $10 or $15 for the other stuff not sure.

And what are some good policies to have for a beginning business?

and the guy im working says hes going to take 30% of what I make and that seems like an afful lot. He did not get me the job, nor has he done any of the work cause that is my job, and he says its cause im using his name (store name). Like so far what i figured to be charging its going to be around $325 give or take and 30% is $105 i believe. and that is the first job ive got since starting there in july and i need that money.

so what do you guys think?

Thanks

Member #
    He should let you get established before he starts taking your money, when updating sites charge per hour. How long does it take to update each page?

Also 30% is too much, 15-20 is more realistic, especially if you work on his premises

Member #
    I agree. I would talk to the boss, and explain that YOU got the job, not him, and that his cut should be considerably less. See if he will go for 15-20 for work he gets you and 5-10 for work you get.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Perad
    He should let you get established before he starts taking your money, when updating sites charge per hour. How long does it take to update each page?

Also 30% is too much, 15-20 is more realistic, especially if you work on his premises
    Ok ill charge per hour from now on, seeing how im just about done with site, i dont know how long it took for each page may five minutes for the smaller ones and 20 minutes maybe for making and adding each new page. and maybe an hour or more adding in all the links for the nav on every page.

Member #
    personally i don't believe in charging per hour for updates, however, if the update will take a short perid of time then i would have a higher hourly rate, depending on the speed in which you work

because you don't want to be charing $12 an hour if the update is going to take 30 minutes, meaning you only get $12 as appose to if you charge per how much needs updating, for example, 2 pages of content being updated, + small extras, $60

it could only take the same amount of time but this way you get a fixed price

Remove Ads