Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am about to use 1and1 to host my website. If I designed the whole site in Frontpage, and linked all the clickable stuff, what will I have to do once I upload the site? Will I have to relink everything? Or will it be odne automatically for me?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Everything should have been done automatically using relative links. However, you may have to check that all the links don't go to the files on your harddrive as opposed to just relative links to the files - I've never used Frontpage before, but I know that that problem can occur with Dreamweaver sometimes (like if you start creating the site without saving it as a site first with a local root folder). But I guess you will really find out once you upload the site to the web (or you can try looking in the source code).
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberryh
    Everything should have been done automatically using relative links. However, you may have to check that all the links don't go to the files on your harddrive as opposed to just relative links to the files - I've never used Frontpage before, but I know that that problem can occur with Dreamweaver sometimes (like if you start creating the site without saving it as a site first with a local root folder). But I guess you will really find out once you upload the site to the web (or you can try looking in the source code).
    well, I started i started building the whole thing as a "New Website" in frontpage.. I notice in the code, some files are referenced with C:\ in the name, and some simply have the last few directory nmes (the diretories after the website folder....). Is that what you mean by relative links?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah - you should probably just change the ones with C:/ to be just like the links that ONLY include the directories. Make it "relative" to the HTML document that the link is in. So, if your image is in the same directory of your HTML doc, just put the image name... If it's in the above directory, put ../imagename, if it's in a directory (say, images) that's in the same directory of your HTML file, put images/imagename, etc.

Member #
    thanks... that's an answer that works. I appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No prob

Remove Ads