Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    There are so many articles about how you make your design using tools but i see nothing anywhere about how you actually come up with the design its self.

Does anyone know of an article which discusses different types of site design and the mental process in designing a webpage. I am more specifically interested in going about designing modern, "cool" looking sites as my clients wants a clan site. (All programmed just needs a face)

Any help on this would be GREATLY apprieciated :Ogre:

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, one way would be to sketch just the general layout, as far as where things will go on the page (since different websites will have different content) - like if you're going to have a login, a search box, touts, etc.
    Then, if you don't have any ideas to start out the (design) process, try finding websites that you like certain elements of; elements that you'd like to integrate into your website design. Like a certain color scheme, icon styles, etc.
    Also, another good idea is to ask your client to send you links of websites that he/she likes, along with what he/she likes about them. That usually helps me a LOT because I get a general idea of the type of feel the client is looking for for his/her site.
    Then what I usually do is go into Photoshop and do tons of mockups. Then I send them to the client and ask him/her to pick one or pick different elements from different ones, etc.
    I know how you feel though - the creative director where I work makes amazing website designs and I always find myself saying "how the heck did you think of that?" I think for some people, it just comes naturally.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    I generally search websites such as webcreme
    because i find that it features up-to-date and modern websites that i can gain ideas from, i then take these ideas and sketch them out, i'll then integrate them into the general layout that i'd planned before but change them to my own exclusive way, i'll then start making mock ups (as raspberryh mentioned earlier) in photoshop and ask my client to choose their favourite, i'll start to script it and see what it looks like actually on the web. I dont tend to do any 'mental designing' although i guess i must do some subconsiously?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow that's an AWESOME link!!! I always wished I had somewhere I could go to for ONLY "good design"... I find so many poorly designed websites when I do a general search like in Google, websites that I can't get any inspiration from at all.
    Thanks for the link!!!

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    ... and you'll discover one other thing ....

or perhaps it's just me?

When you create a site, design a site, it looks great to other people, but
    never looks good to yourself. I never like the way my sites look. Why is that?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim

or perhaps it's just me?

I am the same, i design i site, look at it and sigh. My friend asks what i have and reluctantly show them and they are like woah thats perfect.

The problem i face is that i make the layout and sketch it, its then getting from the layout to a good design that i struggle with. I just poke and prod, look at other sites then effectively copy and modify. I am still learning web design but i would like to lean more towards the programming side than the site design. Saying this i would still like to make a mean site.

I just want to get to the bottom of web design so instead of recycling designs which are already on the internet i can just sit there and sketch out something thats mine.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    A few more of these showcase sites
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    I've got some more showcase sites -
    dailyslurp.com
    designmeltdown.com

they're pretty good!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim

or perhaps it's just me?

i'm the same as well.you ever find the wee effects that you add to you site just don't look real. i mean i added this feature to my portfolio where the nav button are ment to look pressed in when you push or hover over them, but i just see through the look and see it as a bit of padding and a diff bg image, the same goes for drop shadows..... maybe its just mearanoid:

as for the design, i find getting the client to come up with daft idea (which usually can't be implemented, by me anyway:ermm: ) and try modify them to what is achievable.

you could always try going into your code and putting crazy settings and styles in stylesheet and see what it looks in the browser like after you have changed everything! you might just come up with something sooo whacky it might just work

PS: that link solid was pretty good

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah I really like programming a lot better than design, for the pure fact that when you're programming, you just do it, but when you're designing, it's always so uncertain. Like, the client won't like it, or the client will like some other site better, or the client will want you to do something that's bad design, etc. etc. And you could go on forever making changes to your design and maybe your client will never be satisfied.
    Whereas with programming, the client's like "I want this to happen"... And so you just do it. I like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads