Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys,

just finished with a client who want me to do a web site for him.

he has about 550+ images (high quality photos) which he wants to put onto a web site. however he wants to be able for anyone to upload photos from anywhere in the world and also sort them into different catagorys.

from what i understand, i'm going to have to develop a php script to handle to fetching of the image, and a databse to organise the images ..... i am going along the right lines here???

the guys wants to have a site like 'flicker' but he says the files get compress and lose quality so he is wanting something similar but 1 that doesn't lose quality.

seems like a really big ask as i don't have experience on developing this kind of sites, any pointer would be grand.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    This does sound like a big job, but you may find an existing
    PHP/MySQL gallery script that does what you need .... especially the
    part about not compressing images. I would search around using Google
    and try to find something close to what you need (for free), and then
    customize it.

No need to re-invent the wheel. I'm even wondering if there's something
    like "coppermine" that has an option to "not reduce" image sizes. That
    resizing sounds like the only thing that might be holding you back.

Member #
    cheers, had a wee look into it last night. seems like a big job. i probably could adapt a script to work for me, i just don't know if i have that much time (outside of the crap job i do that pays the bills)

i'll look into it further this week and see if i can manage my time well enough.

Member #
    Hey. Not sure what categories that your client wants the images sorted into, but maybe something like this example.

HTML Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Image Upload</title>
    </head>

<body>

<form action="imgupload.php" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" name="upload">

<p>Image: <input type="file" name="f" /></p>

<p>Category: <input type="radio" name="category" value="A" /> A <input type="radio" name="category" value="B" /> B <input type="radio" name="category" value="C" /> C </p>

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Upload" />

</form>

</body>
    </html>
    Of course you will most likely have a lot more categories than 3, but you get the jist of it.

And then in your database table you would have a column representing the category, and you would use that column in your sql query.

Code:
    SELECT filename FROM table_name WHERE category = 'A';

Member #
    sorry for the late reply. cheers guys, from talking to the client again, and again, and again if think i may pass this job up. he would also want continuous maintainence work and i do't really have the time to dedicate to a job like this while working fulll time and dealing with other clients.

thanks again for your help. I may refer this clinet onto this site if he feel that freelance may still be the best way to go.

ciao:thumbsup:

Remove Ads