Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    ok, i think i'm about to open a big can of worms but here goes.....

i need a new computer because my laptop (which i'm currently trying to use and is reallyslow !!!!) has a really low spec. so embarressed i ain't even going to mention the spec.

now do i, buy a pc and install linux on it and just use my laptop for testing windows crap (that is what i'm thinking)....or do i use windows on my new pc and linux on my laptop as i've heard that linux can run better on a slower pc (i may be wrong there?)

...OR, do i buy a mac, the only prob with the last suggestion is that macs are costly and i'm on a limited budget.

anyway, if you were in my shoes what would you do. got a budget of around 500 ... or there abouts.

also heard of this duel boot thang where you can run linux and windows on the same machine... if anyone has done that would they reccomend that?

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Will Linux be your primary OS, or do you use it just for testing?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Save up some more money and get a Mac :thumbsup:
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Build a Linux box. You can definitely dual-boot Linux and the Doze, and it's not a huge load of trouble, either. Ideally, make sure you install Doze on a FAT32 partition, so that you can play with it in Linux (you won't be able to do the inverse if you choose a good Linux FS). If you don't want to partition it, just install Doze on the whole hard drive, run a quick defragment, and then reboot with a Linux (Kubuntu is a good idea) LiveCD in the drive. When you install Kubuntu, it can automatically resize a FAT32 partition for you. It's fun, you learn some, it's a different OS, and it's not as expensive as a Mac.

Disclaimer: I'm not Mac-giddy and I like my ViM, so Textmate can go to hell :-D

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    mac mini
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Dual-booting Linux. :-D

Member #
    I wanna try Linux, but my wife nearly killed me when I installed FireFox... I dont even wanna think about what might happen if she booted up, and saw a little penguin.........
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Will Linux be your primary OS, or do you use it just for testing?
    think i would like to use linux as my main OS, not sure if its the best idea but wouldn't mind getting away from windows ....... would have assess to windows anyway.

mac mini
    Save up some more money and get a Mac
    aren't (mini) macs expensive. will have to look into that again.

I wanna try Linux, but my wife nearly killed me when I installed FireFox... I dont even wanna think about what might happen if she booted up, and saw a little penguin.........
    tried to convince my girlfreind to put linux on her pc but i was shot down as well

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    cheapest mac mini is $599 USD, and if you're in school there's a discount. You'd still need a monitor and keyboard / mouse (USB), but you probably have all that already.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just put on some Kevlar/Asbestos body armor and install it anyway :-D:-D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads