Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm a relative noob to web design and I need some help. I have designed a site in photoshop and used imageready to create the buttons etc and save the pages as html. I wrote meaningful titles and used metadata tags in my html hoping that they would be picked up by search engines...but... nothing. does anyone have any advice as to what I could do to get my site picked up?

thanks in advance for any ideas

Member #
    Have you submitted your site to any search engines?

Member #
    No. Sorry to be such a noob... but what do I need to do?

Member #
    what the url of you site?

Member #
    Well you could go for the most popular option and add your URL to google.com...

http://www.google.com/addurl/ there are lots of search engines and you can just submit your site to them.

Just realised that you say non-html in your heading. Do you have any html in there or is it all just images.

Member #
    I think maybe the second sentence is the giveaway.
    I have designed a site in photoshop

If the site doesn't contain any real text then there won't be anything for the SEs to index.
    End of Line.

Member #
    Yes, this is the problem... it is all images. the buttons were done with image ready. I will still submit it. I thought that the se's could use the metadata tags i added and the title - although there isnt text in html to pick up? Is this wrong?

Member #
    If you are serious about search engine optimization, you may want to pick up a book and do some readings first. SEO can't be explained in 1 or 2 paragraphs. Submitting to Google isn't going to get your site up to the top.
    Having an image-heavy site is not going to help because search engine spiders can't read anything inside the images. You need to add plain texts on your pages.
    The hardest part of SEO is creating backlinks from other sites pointing to your site. This is very time-consuming and takes a long-term effort.
    As to the book, I think "Search Engine Optimization for Dummies" 2nd is a great starting point. It covers all the basics.
    iRevamp - SEO Service in Minneapolis St Paul, the Twin Cities

Member #
    OK thanks very much for the advice. I am really just learning about the web coming from a more traditional design background. I obvioulsy still have a lot to learn about the web. I will look into the book. I have another question - it might be another major one that is hard to answer just like that..but anyway.. sites designed solely in flash. as they don't work with html text either - are they also difficult to optimise for search engines? So many big companies have flash sites and they do seem to come out well on search engines?

Member #
    They work out well for a few reasons - they have non-flash versions, their URL reflects the search term (a big boost), and other people link to them.

But generally, no, Flash sites are not good for search engines. You see, search engines go through your entire site, jumping link by link. They collect all of the HTML they find, and put that in their database. Any site that has no real text to put in their database has nothing to show there, so the spiders jump over it.

There is a technique that keeps information available to search engines, though. Designers give an alternate website through a link for non-flash. However, this isn't the best idea, as search engines look for content that is useful and updated often. These "mirror sites" are rarely updated.

The main idea: Search engines don't look for beauty - they look for information.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads