Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey there, first time here and I'm not sure why I didn't look for it sooner.

*Take a look at my response below for an updated version of this design*

I've been trying for years to design my homepage so I can try to get my design shop started. I've always been able to crank out pleasing designs when I sit down and do it but I'm never staisfied with mine for more than a few hours before I start to pick it apart.

www.jasonwilsondesign.com/jason-wilson-design.gif is a flat image of the latest design for the site (I would have attatched it but it is too large), I feel like I'm close but as it stands I feel it is lacking. I don't know if my logo fits, although I like it, and I think the layout is missing some critical parts like a 'call to action'. I like this design but I don't think it conveys what I need it to and I don't think it makes the best use of space.

Just as some background, I'm looking to open a shop that deals with web and print design and development and electronic education and training tools. I want the site to show and advertise these products and also serve as a resume and portfolio.

I'm interested in your impressions for the current design, suggestions for improvement and ways I might better get my services across.

I'd also like some tips on how to better think out the design process btu I think I've spied some other threads about that.

Thanks in advance, Jason
    Go n-ithe an cat thu is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Member #
    Ah... VA!
    Hi Jason,

The site is visually pleasing, but...

It gets weird:

The background looks like wallpaper (real wallpaper not the kind on your computer). The coffee stains really serve no purpose, and IMO, shows lack of professionalism (not creativity).

I am very confused on what this is supposed to be. I could see it as a desk top, I could see it as a planner...

And now on to the picky stuff.
    - FONTS
    • Thanks for using Georgia instead of TNR. I also like how you use variations in color, size and style for other parts.
    • The fonts on the navigation are difficult to read. Plus, they align differently.
    • Welcome has a country-western theme, which matches the wallpaper, but I don't care for either.
    • Please do not justify.
    • Definitely do not align bodies of text to the right. Unless you're writing in a language that reads right to left.

- Logo: did you build the site around the logo or the logo around the site? I agree in that it doesn't quite fit in. Also, the logo is pixelated.
    - Content: Rather than saying "portfolio" divide it out: Print Design, Web Design, Educational materials
    - Currently the site looks like a blog. Is this the intent? There seems to only be one entree of content on the home page, which is fine, assuming that is where the focus should be.
    - The sticky note does not match the style. Also the wording is not inviting... "Click here and I'll tell you why your staff does not need training." Even though the whole thing seems to contradict what you're doing.

It seems like there are certain things you want to make seem light and casual, but the problem insodoing is that the polished professionalism is not established. One of those you have to prove you know the rules before you can break them.

Alright, I've given you a lot to chew on.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, I suck at design, so my comments should be taken with a grain of salt, but that looks fantastic, from a purely design perspective. You might want to have a little more on what you do on that front page, though.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Please do not justify.
    ... Unless you have software that does good hyphenation (LaTeX, anyone?) ;-)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Alright, I've given you a lot to chew on.
    Phew, yes you have. I appreciate it a lot though. I'll see what I can do and come back in a little while.

Member #
    Alright, well, I feel a lot better about this one. I think I managed to keep a lot of the elements I liked while making better use of the space available and giving more apparent ways for people to get to where I want them.

http://www.jasonwilsondesign.com/ima...on-design2.gif

The logo will probably get redone. I will either keep the same concept but simplify it or I will go for a mingling of the coat of arms from both sides of my family.

I keep feeling like the news/blog text is too big, btw. Any thoughts?

Member #
    just a minor item but you should probably change the really thick black lines to quite subtle dropshadows, although i LOVE shadows...

Member #
    Wow... there was party in this post last night!

Major improvements... this is a lot more focused. What is going in the callout sections? How will that look?

I'm not sure if "performance" is the right word. It makes me think you're an actor.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads