Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: dissapointment

Member #
    I've completed at least 3 websites that have utilized Flash on their homepages, and also a Flash audio player with a Flash photo gallery. (I haven't gotten into Flash video yet)

I sent my resume and portfolio sites to a few Flash production companies and haven't gotten any response. One company emailed me back and said that I wasn't really qualified.

How difficult is it acquire a Flash design job? What other things besides the HTML programming languages should I know? More importantly, if I can't get a position as an interactive designer because, (for example) I don't have a degree, then what other type of companies or industries are willing to hire a Flash designer? This question sparked my interest because I went to the SF Chronicle and they now present some of their articles as Flash video slideshows. Also, the gaming television website G4TV has a section called "The Fix" which offers the ability to watch tv shows through Flash video.

Thanks!

Member #
    Its difficult to get into multimedia design full stop. Getting a job through 3 sample sites will often be difficult. You will need to be very good with action script and be familiar with 3d movie creation using stuff like swift3d. You should also learn how flash can interact with javascript, php and databases.

A much better way to do it would be to start off freelancing and keep an eye open jobs. At the end of the day many companies will check your experience in years rather than completed sites and to be employed as a multimedia designer on 3 sites that don't contain video will be difficult.

Freelance and offer yourself up to work for free. Both will greatly increase your skills and your portfolio.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Also, I don't know if you're in college or not, but if you are, getting an internship or co-op can be a really good way to get experience.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    My guess is that simply your skills aren't up to par yet. Keep working, keep creating.

We've interviewed quite a few people for interactive developer, and I can give you a couple points on what to work on:

- An understanding of easing, and how it effects the user experience. How to and when to use various methods to exude particular feelings.

- A solid understanding of Actionscript, separation of behavior from style, and OO programming.

- A solid understanding of design & branding.

- How to understand a client. i.e. how to execute "I want it more swooshy"
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads