Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    http://www.jasonstanley.co.uk/layout2.png

Firstly i apologize for so much for the way i obscured so much of it. The site is 2-3 weeks off completion and i would rather the layout debut on my site instead of someone else's :smoker:

The question refers to the part that is obscured.

I would like this to be an optional secondary navigation. The idea of it is that it displays links which makes the page easier to navigate. Saying this it isn't essential and thus i want the user to be able to hide it.

I don't want to use flash, i have seen a few sites do this with javascript. At least i think its javascript.

Has anyone done this without flash? What are the limitations of doing it this way? Also can anyone recommend any tutorials?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That's often achieved with some sort of opaque div (i.e., setting a div to take up the whole screen and then giving it an opacity of maybe 0.5 or whatever so it becomes somewhat see-through). Assuming that's what you mean.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Or perhaps a display:none, display:block rollover thingy - although that didn't work on ie6, perhaps on ie7? I won't bother raising my hopes........

Member #
    It should work in IE. If I recall correctly IE will only render the hover pseudo class if you use it on an a so it would take a little trickery, but it's totally do-able.

As far as Flash is concerned... how do you want it to appear? You can make a flash movie to go there, and make it change when there's a rollover. Then, as long as the mouse is on the movie, the nav will appear.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I don't really want to use flash, i have always had problems getting a drop down menu to display over flash plug ins.

I just want 1 click and its there, another click and it tucks away again. JavaScript hasn't been mentioned. Can it be done in javascript?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perad
    I don't really want to use flash, i have always had problems getting a drop down menu to display over flash plug ins.

I just want 1 click and its there, another click and it tucks away again. JavaScript hasn't been mentioned. Can it be done in javascript?
    I'm still not 100% sure on what you mean, but if it's something triggered by a click, it should be doable in Javascript :-P

Member #
    its seems to be a similar effect to the lightbox thang that uses javascript.

try googling it and see if you can alter the code to what you want (or even see if its what your trying to achieve:-))

in work so i can do much, will try post later:-D

Remove Ads