Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all. Here's my problem:

I'm making the new site for my church. The man who's essentially directing me tells me that he wants it to fit into an 800 X 600 res without the window scrolling. He wants the nav on the screen at all times, and he wants a scrolling box for the content.

I've been amusing the man for a while with the idea because he seems really adamant about it, but now I'm thinking that it's pretty much impossible. I think any normal user of this site is going to have 768 X 1024 at least, so I want to throw away 800 X 600. Is it just me, or are his goals for this layout unrealistic? Taking into account the max size at 800 X 600, the site would have to fit into a 770 X 430 px box!

So, any idea what I should do or tell him? I have to mention that dropping him is not an option.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, there are stats somewhere saying that 1024x768 is now a more common resolution than 800x600. I think the most important thing would be getting him to compromise on keeping the nav at all times and allowing the page to scroll. You should be able to make a layout with the nav in a bar on top and then scrolling content where the entire page scrolls. That should minimize the size problem. 800x600 is still narrow as hell, though, and I certainly don't envy the problem...

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    I don't think the 800 pixel wide is a problem,
    but the navigation in place is ...

Have him look at the church site I helped with ...

The navigation is tabbed, so it's very easy.
    .... and it fits in 800 pixel browsers.

Perhaps you can convince him that the tab
    navigation is easy and there's no reason to
    keep the navigation fixed on the screen.

http://www.stlukecg.com

Member #
    As a web designer, I think we owe our clients two things:

- Giving them what they want,
    - Educating them on web practices and standards.

Sometimes a client will understand when you explain something and take your advice, other times, you just have to suck it up and give them what they want. And you're not required to put it on your portfolio.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    DCScene, that's a great point. I think I'll just give him what he wants. I started a new design and it's actually going better than expected, but it's still far from what I'd usually do.

Remove Ads