Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok. So I've agreed to overhaul the web site for a non profit German language school. I used to attend the school myself for quite some time and now I'm becoming their resident tech guy.

Their current site: http://www.deutschesprachschuleinc.org/

Obviously the present layout and design (it isn't mine) is completely unappealing and amateur.

However, I'll readily admit that web design is not my specialty. I've thrown together some personal sites in Frontpage and played around with bits of PHP and SQL but nothing serious. So, I'm looking for an all in one tool that will allow me to do visual editing of pages. Freeware is good, but pay is ok. I'm not really that worried about the code aspects, as I can teach myself that no problem.

What I am more concerned about is graphic and layout creation. I want this to look professional and I have virtually no photoshop, graphic design, or CSS skills. Where do I start? Now, I'm looking at a timeframe of around 4 weeks to do this project (basically my winter break.) That includes learning, design, and implementation.

What I'm looking for is software recommendations, learning resource suggestions, style ideas, basically anything that will let me get this web site up to par.

If this site turns out good, its just the beginning for my project ideas at the school. I've already built them a brand new computer lab, and I'm thinking about some sort of tuition tracking system. So, I have to make a good impression. Plus, its a great resume builder for an IT student like me.

I really appreciate it! :classic:

Member #
    I think that if design is not your speciality, you'll be best to use a template as the design basis. You can then modify the template (pictures, etc) so that it meets your needs, but at least you'll start with a solid design. There are tons of templates available online - free and to purchase.

Also, just take a look around and see which sites appeal to you. You can get lots of good design ideas from other sites which you can incorporate into the site you are designing.

------------------------------------------------------------
    phoenix

Remove Ads