Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok im not bad at webdesign, but i use tables to hold all my design together and position things, as im told by the people here thats not the way to go. when i try using divs i got no idea how to align my content in divs or use multipul divs to hold certain stuff, i cant tell text to align 300 pixels away from the side of my design i can tell my divs how big to be where to sit on the page how the hell does this make my design better if i dont use tables?

please tell me how to do this(basic explanation) because i have no idea how to use divs since my teacher never tought us divs

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The answer to this is one word: CSS. Cascading Style Sheets let you do all of this and far far more. But, there's a learning curve involved. Get some books on CSS, or poke around online at w3schools.com, alistapart.com, and other such places, and feel free to ask around here when you run into trouble.

Member #
    Using divs along with CSS is where the flexibility comes.

Not really ure what your exaxct question is, your post was not very clear, but divs are better for many reasons.

Check out: http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=TablesVsDivs and http://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/getting_your_di/

You could also google for advantages and techniques that suggest divs are the way to go.

Member #
    ok i know basic stuff on css but css cant add a navigation bar into a div and make roll over buttons with more then 1 picture and make them all next to eachother so they look like a perfect join of pictures so i dont understand how that works

Member #
    i did a lil thing here is what i did

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...hart/crap2.png

that is picture of code
    http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...fhart/crap.png
    thats how it turned out ,

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...hart/crap3.png
    adding my design images
    wat happened there i have huge gaps in between my images and there doesnt seem to be anything in the css saying i wanted the tables to have a huge cellspacing/padding whichever it is

i could have done that way easyer with only 1 table and 3 rows without all this
    div
    div
    /div
    div
    /div
    div
    /div
    /div

junk

where are my options i wanted a 400x400 table why the hell does it give me something less then 100 high and more then 900 wide well see tables so far are winning!

another tut type thing

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...hart/crap4.png
    it didnt turn out too well did it?

heres the coding

<style>
    h1
    {
    border: 1px solid black;
    }

#navigation
    {
    float: left;
    width: 20%;
    padding: 5px;
    }

#copy
    {
    }
    </style>

<body>

<h1 id="top">Title</h1>

<ul id="navigation">
    <li>item</li>
    <li>item</li>
    <li>item</li>
    <li>item</li>
    </ul>

<div id="main">
    The main content
    <div id="secondary">
    secondary navigation
    </div>
    </div>

<div id="copy">
    Foo, 2003
    </div>

could have done better with tables in my opinion

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Give us a link to your site, what you have so far.

Member #
    www.texpatch.tk i dont have hosting getting hosting tomorow because i get payed tonight, hopefully i can get it tomorow any ways.

im not hosting that, thats just one of my best designs.

im creating a whole new one for portfolio but im a perfectionist i want to know if i can get exactly what i want(like i have done there but different design) and use divs obviously so far i cant! i dont believe i can add roll overs etc to my navigation like i have.

i cant add much into what i like there even if i use divs ill still have to add tbales to put stuff inside!

I do believe that using divisions and css is better, but im so bloody angry that i did my whole course thinking i was good at coding part( i was the guy who knew how to do the coding by hand and get my designs changeable just by changing the psd file) man im so angry at my teacher he is going to get a peice of my mind! and if it doesnt change ill tell the people who run the school so i can get better teachers!

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Keep in mind that you can use Javascripting with CSS (and <divs>). That means
    you can use the same javascripting rollovers you are now using.

<divs> just replace <tr's> and <td's> as means of defining a section.

The advantage is the ability to position them anywhere ... you can't do
    that with <tables>. Tables are still the preferred method for tabular data,
    such as listings from databases, calendars, etc. Even photo galleries would
    be considered tabular in many cases and tables are just perfect for that.

Your teacher should be teaching a mixture of both CSS and Table HTML markups.
    CSS is merely a tool for HTML, not a replacement.

Everyone involved with CSS is anxiously awaiting a newer CSS that fixes some of
    the headaches we face with the exising CSS. And of course, it's really the browsers
    themselves (such as sucky IE), that really cause CSS problems.

Don't despair and lose hope. The light bulb will turn on and you'll "get it" all
    of a sudden. It's really an amazing thing sometimes.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It bears mentioning that, concerning your nav bar question, CSS nav bars of all sorts are really easy to do. So are CSS rollovers.

Member #
    Something else to consider, you should be designing for Firefox, rather than IE.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Remove Ads