Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi again.

Now I'm looking for some proven-to-be good sites that explicitly lays out good design criteria to be followed or to use to evaluate a website. I have to compile a catalogue of design criteria for a paper I've to write.

I know I can google for it, but it feels too much like shooting in the dark, while the king of all websites remains undiscovered by me.

Member #
    U can take alook at mine
    i donno if its what ur lookin for but ive heard for a bunch of ppl
    that they like my flash page witch isnt finshed
    www.romgamers.com
    Webmaster Of Romgamers.com(WITCH IS DEAD
    THX NINTENDO)
    Feeding The Classic Gamers Fix Since 2004-2008

Member #
    Sorry Chronocalamity, yours is not the best example of how one should design web pages.

I suggest A List Apart (http://www.alistapart.com/). Also, W3C has good stuff. Or, http://www.webstyleguide.com/. Basically, use CSS, XHTML, make sure it validates, and don't use tables. Stick to standards.

https://www.cu.edu/irm/stds/www_manu.../criteria.html
    That has almost all you're looking for.

Member #
    well i am new to the field of webdesign and ill take any advice that helps
    after all what is learned helps one find out that there is alway more to be
    learned and the road to ones goal will be most difficult with out the help of
    the more knowledgeable to guide you

in short i have no clue what most of the is nor how to use it
    THX NINTENDO)

Member #
    wow chrono ur sites files havnt been compressed at all they are bloody taking ages i got cable!

notice how all the sites that try and teach you design or css or html are all ugly!!!

Member #
    some proven-to-be good sites
    One dimension -- but one dimension only -- is construction. Another is aesthetics.

Still another is use; as in usability, copywriting, UX (user experience) information design and information architecture. What happens when you don't have these basics is explained by Jeffrey Zeldman:

There was little content and even less user science.
    Many sites submitted had no concern for the user on the most basic levels. Rarely could you identify an idea or purpose behind the site, or name a possible user goal the site was intended to facilitate. There was no flow, no legibility, no usability. It wasn’t so much that the designers had contempt for their users as that they seemed never to have been taught to think about users at all. One gets the feeling that the web design curriculum at too many colleges and universities consists of little more than tips on how to use Flash to imitate sites that won awards five years ago.
    -- The rebooter’s children go rebootless
    What Zeldman, a respected web design guru, was talking about was the Reboot Web Design contest -- the awards which many designers take to "prove" what is "good" design. ALA - A List Apart has a matching article Never Get Involved in a Land War in Asia (or Build a Website for No Reason).

What's that all about? To take a practical example which illustrates your criteria "proven-to-be-good" we take a police station web redesign. One way to prove it is to test the web site. Testing is very different from having the code parsed for programming typos - debugging. (And given the common use of the word "validation," most web designers should chafe at the word, in context of the quotes given here.)

Content rules. It did ten years ago, and it does today. People don't use things they don't understand. Writing for the Web is still undervalued, and most sites spend too few resources refining the information they offer to users.

The same goes for photos: On countless sites, product images are too small, fuzzy, or murky, or they're simply shot from a bad angle, making the product hard to see. These same sites lavish pixels on big glamour illustrations that our eyetracking studies show attract no fixations. Go figure.
    -- Growing a Business Website: Fix the Basics First
    USEIT.com is about usability. Start with Growing a Business Website: Fix the Basics First Flazoom is about Flash usability, start with What Would Walmart Do? and also Attention Macromedia: I Will not be Your Scapegoat

Information Architecture Deliverables is a basic introduction to interface design. Unlike what most web designers do, IA brings the ideas from software interaction design and applies them to web design. A key idea for web design is information scent, which leads to the subject of actual information...

Information design complements IA. You can fill a site layout with gibberish and it has "content," but not information. You can fill a site layout with typing, and you still don't have the writing needed to convert visitors into buyers. Information is the payoff, the reason for the web site, the navigation, and what turns "Content is King" into more than a polite fiction. Merchandising -- making the cash register ring. Content strategy, making the CMS more than a fancy three-letter-initialism for "online typewriter." And infographics, the other thing you can do in PhotoShop besides special effects.

Unlike CSS Zen Garden or 2Advanced, which can be proven popular with web designers, usability and information can be tested and proven with the site users the web design is actually for. These basics will allow you a way to "prove" something "good."

Member #
    ya ya ya all this w3c crap dont make sinces
    i just started this in march and i think ive learned alot in a short time all self learned
    and know i hear there some sort of standard for webdesign
    i donno css or xml or now that i think about it i only know html
    man these things realy got a way on makin a person feel like a moron
    lets just forget i ever said anything and ill go hit the books
    or better yet ill surf these forms cause im sure to learn abit
    THX NINTENDO)

Member #
    Hey man ill give you the link to my school site because it has some tutorials for table based websites, once you done em all try and code a table based website without dreamweaver see how you go, i do most my coding by hand these days...
    Dreamweaver PFFT dont need.

http://fenstudent.gordontafe.edu.au/...ages/index.htm

here you go, they are basic but they are good. after that it is pretty hard to convert to divisions without some one showing you, ill update with an easy design made with divisions using css and no tables what so ever, using no tables is getting easyer i learnt it not last night but night before and im very excited about it.

dude once you start using divisions and css it gets so much easyer.

Member #
    I don't know if this is the type of thing you are looking for, but there this site http://www.css-techniques.com/, which is something I use often when I'm designing a new page. There's a ton of helpful links on there, you really have to check it out for yourself and see if there is anything you're interested in reading about or learning.

Remove Ads