Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Happy Holidays

Basically, I am looking for a way to make my interface more interesting without cluttering up the interface. Right now i have my company title, contact info, and an "under construction" message. I want to add a list of websites that I've completed, but I don't have the time right now and I don't know how I could arrange that on the interface. My completed vision is to create a Flash interface of roundish-rectangular modules that slide out of the main rectangular module using a quick, smooth motion tween.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    an improved design..

I could have tiny snowflakes falling in the background..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    A portfolio is about the work -- content. Anything else, blink tags, snowflakes, etc, sends a distracting message that the layout is more important than the information.

The design examples of Hellocode are based around showing off the work.

Way too many portfolio designs fail to focus on a client problem, a target user, or a purpose for the work. All these added considerations can be a source of inspiration which differentiates what you do from others.

There just aren't that many interesting backgrounds, color schemes, box model hacks, border styles. or stock photographs. Stray off the reservation if you want to get the kind of inspiration potential clients will be interested in.

Member #
    I think its important to note that when you trying to design your portfolio site you should be looking to do it with navigation and content. Creating a "new site in progress" page will not help you decide if a certain design will work or not.

Something else that should be noted. If you plan to offer services on your site then the main aim of your site will be usability. If however you are creating it to simply showcase your work then it allows you an opportunity to be somewhat more creative. I have come across some stunning portfolio sites that create unconventional navigation and while this may sacrifice some usabilty it shows off the designers artistic skill.

Member #
    OK, well instead of leaving this interface with "New Site In Progress" I could create a static menu module that contains URL links to my completed projects.

I guess what I will do is add on to the design until all of the basic components are there and THEN I'll spend a little time as possible refining those components. Because if I don't have any way for a client to view my work they will simply pass on my site.

Remove Ads