Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I am a newbie to this site and a newbie to web design, so I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I will give it a shot and see.

I am designing a site for a friend and there are a couple things that he would like to have that I am not sure how to do. First off, he would like to add a blog to his site. Is there a particular way of going about this? Is there a particular blog company/software that you would recommend? I am also looking for any tutorials on adding a blog to ones site?

The second thing he would like to have on his site is a place for people to sign/join. The site is being built around a particular cause and he would like to have a place for people to sign their name and then maybe add a comment. Once they do this it would register it on a page for all to see. Kind of like a petition, but it isn't a petition. He is trying to get a large group of people to join him for this cause. What would be the best way to go about this. I am looking for any help I can get.

Thanks in advance for your help.

4WardMotion

Member #
    Hi 4WardMotion nice to see new faces here on WDF. You mentioned that your freind wanted a blog does your freind mean he wants a myspace kind of blog for different people including him or is it just for him? You also mentioned that you wanted a sign in when what you want by the way you described it is like a guestbook where people can leave their comments the problem with this is that you need to know how to vaildate forms, below is an example on how you create a guest book in HTML.

HTML Code:
    <form action="" method="post">
    <!-- in action you will have to say what action the form takes e.g. mailto:someone@someemail.com -->
     <table width="" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
      <tr>
        <td colspan="2">Please sign in my Guestbook</td>
      </tr>
      <tr><td>Your Name:</td><td><input name="name" type="text" /></td></tr>
      <tr><td valign="top">Please leave your comments here</td><td valign="top"><textarea name="comments" rows="20"></textarea></td></tr>
      <tr><td colspan="2"><input type="submit" value="Submit" /> &nbsp; <input type="reset" value="Clear" /></td></tr>
      </table>
    </form>
    Hope this helps

Member #
    As far as blogs go, I recommend WordPress. If he has a web host, see if they have a one click installer for it. If not, it is really easy to upload and install. If he doesn't have a host, www.wordpress.com offers hosted blogs.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Thank you for the replies so far. I will definitely check out Wordpress. As far as my other question goes, I am not sure if what KillaTeddyX has described is what I am looking for.

I need to have a page where people can sign their name as someone who wants to join this cause. I will have a link that says "Join Now." When they click on that link it will take them to a page where they can enter their name and a short comment. Once they submit that it will add it to a running list that will be on a page for all to see. That way people will see who and how many have joined the cause. He is trying to get a certain number of people to join this cause. Hopefully that makes sense. So I am trying to figure out how to do this? Can someone please help?

Thanks for your help in advance.

4WardMotion

Member #
    Well, he could make it a blog entry and get the people comment on that entry. Or you could use a Guest Book type script.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    He will need a server with server side technology support, be it asp, perl, php etc.

If he has that it really is not that hard, depending if he wants to use flat files or a database for storage.

Member #
    Thanks for the replies thus far.

We really don't need a database for this, we just want to be able to record those who have joined the cause and what number they are. So I am assuming it would be a flat file. So if that is the case how would I go about doing this? Are there some tutorials you would recommend? Thanks for your help.

I did find this website that is kind of doing what we are trying to do. It might be more involved than we need, but I think you will get the point. We have nothing to do with this cause, but I did find this searching for ideas. They have a join page with the number of people who have joined and comments from some. The website address is, http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/default.asp.

I would also be interested in knowing what they did to build this example site and what they are using for this join page. Thanks again for all the help.

4WardMotion

Member #
    Well, if you view the source of the code for the site you linked, you'll notice that it links to a file with an .asp extension. ASP stands for Active Server Pages, and is basically involves coding to allow dynamic input of information to a website. In this case it does use a database. Think of it this way...the website needs a way to know what name goes with which comment, store it, and recall it. If the concern is that your friends webhost does not supply a database(s) remember that weblogs use databases as well.

There are free open-source module based software programs out there that may have something similar to what you are looking for. Although I don't personally have a lot of experience using Joomla!, after glancing through their extensions directory there seemed to be a few things that might suit your purposes: http://www.joomla.org

Remove Ads