Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Dreams

Member #
    I have a dream to create a web based store with this particular design scheme similar to this site here:
    http://www.tide.com/en_US/tidesimple...cape/index.jsp
    The problem is I am new to all this html, css language so can anyone tell me where I should begin and or with any particular programs if applicable I should use. So I can fulfill my dream!

Member #
    Id advise you to use CubeCart so as you dont have to spend 100s of hours deveoping the cart system, It comes with 3 skins and if I remember correctly then 1 of the skins is a fairly similar to what you are looking for all you have to do is modify a dew images to suit what you need and edit a few CSS entries in a text editor alothugh id advise using dreamweaver makes things alot easier. heres an example from a recent project, not CubeCart but youll get the idea of using CSS

Code:
    body {
        background-color: #FFFFFF;
        background-image:url(../images/b1.gif);
        margin: 6px;
        font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        font-color:FFCC00;
        font-size: 14px;
        height: 22px;
    }
    .header {
        background-image: url(../images/header.png);
        height: 145px;
        width: 800px;
        background-color: #00CCFF;
        border: thin solid #666666;
    }
    .surround{
        text-align:center;
        margin: auto;
    }
    .menu {
        background-image: url(../images/mnu.png);
        height: 27px;
        text-align: center;
        color: #CCCCCC;
    }
    .content {
        font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        border: thin solid #666666;
        padding: 2px;
        text-align: left;
    }
    .copyright {
        font-size: 12px;
    }

.news {
        border: thin solid #CCCCCC;
        vertical-align: top;
        width:790px ;
    }
    td. {vertical-align:top; 
    }
    a:link {
        text-decoration: none;
    }
    a:visited {
    }
    a:hover {
        text-decoration: underline;
    }
    a:active {
        vertical-align: text-bottom;
    }
    .member {
        border: thin solid #CCCCCC;
        width: 790px;
    }
    For instance if you wanted to change the text color to #FFCC00(Red I Think) and background image to images/menubg.jpg all you would do is change it to this
    Code:
    .menu {
        background-image: url(images/menubg.jpg);
        height: 27px;
        color: #FFCC00;
    Hop my little explainnation has helped
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Cool dream, wished I had that kind of dreams

It's mostly flash, so learn Flash... google it to find out more. Otherwise its JSP, which is a somewhat uncommon (I'd start a war here if I extend this sentance... ) so you might want to learn PHP instead, which is more common.

Others will have more reasons why not to use JSP, but that's not my part.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks alot Both of you have been a great help.

Member #
    ok i checked out the cost of these programs and well do i need to buy all of them or just start with one, flash is like 700 bucks and dreamweaver is 400

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mselle66
    ok i checked out the cost of these programs and well do i need to buy all of them or just start with one, flash is like 700 bucks and dreamweaver is 400
    I don't think you should use flash for navigation. Unless you are going to use flash alot, don't by it. try the 30-day trial.

If you are going to learn html and css, don't buy Dreamwaver. all you need is notepad, and a good web browser. I use notepad++ because it colors all the tag, strings and stuff. and it has tabs.

Member #
    Flash is only absoutely necessary if you want flash elements that are otherwise difficult to replicate in your site with other technologies. For example, a simulation page in your site would be a reason to get Flash, but for a menu, there are other methods.

Dreamweaver is fine if you're new. However you'll find, as you start learning new technologies and stuff, Dreamweaver will be less and less useful.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks for all the helpful tips. I am new to all this and I am slowly learning the html code and I hope to move on to learn css. It seems there are alot of web site building programs out there and I have come upon webstudio is this one to consider or should i just stick with what has been mentioned? My main goal right now is to launch an ecommerce type of site with numerous products. I'd like to make something simple yet eye catching and easy to navigate. Not to change the subject but I was wondering if any of you know anything about click bank or namestick and what exactly do they do? Are they something any of you use?

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    well. there are easier ways. I like wordpress, its plain, simple, easy to use and it look good. If you have a Mac, there is iWeb which is part of the iLife package. it's great for beginners, it has some good templates. There is Nvu, its like Dreamwaver but free, and I think is better.

there are others services that I personnally don't like because its not flexible, but maybe great for others
    1. pages.google.com
    2. blogger.com
    3. any blog site (http://weblogs.about.com/od/weblogso...pfreeblogs.htm)
    what ever works for you.

Member #
    iWeb is pretty good it has some nice looking templates and is vert simple, I used it a couple of times at school. I like it but it was too simple and well I dont have a mac at home
    Regards Phil,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads