Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Legal Question

Member #
    I have a question about legality of the photos that I can use on a website. I know that I can not take pictures from something like Google images and use those in my commercial site.

But if I am making a site for a company that sells a specific brand of a product, can I use the pictures from the product site on my company site?

For example, I am making a website for a company that sells products from a number of different sellers. One of them is Mid Continent Cabinetry

http://www.midcontinentcabinetry.co...m/products.html

Can I take the photos that are on that page and use them in my site?

Also is there any place where I can get free photos on the web that I donít have to credit, to use on websites? A lot of the pictures that I use eventually come off my websites once my customers get some for it, but sometimes they stay and thatís a problem if I take them from other sites.

Thank you for the help!

Member #
    Your best to get permission of the manufacturer if you are reselling their products. Most companies will give you a written permission to use them.
    This is best to get anyway for legal purposes.

I have designed for companies who wanted their vendor products on their site and I let them know to get a letter to use the vendor photos on their site.
    I've never had a company that is a reseller not do this.

Free photo sites are where you can get pictures you can use on your site (or print material, multimedia, etc). Most of them are royalty free and have copyright information on how they can be used.

I will give you an example. A company had a photo on their site that their old web desginer put on their site and that company found the photo.
    They sent them a letter from their attorney to remove the photo or that they would sue.
    They got their attorney to respond, took the photo down and avoided litigation. Guess what the problem was?

They still spent $400 for an attorney to get involved. This is a small business so it was a cost they didn't just have at their disposal.
    Needless to say, when I started creating their new site, the owner wanted every copyright for every photo (I used stock royalty free photos for some of the stuff) printed out and a copy kept on file at their office.

Good luck......

*I will post some free photo sites for you later
    GMan

Member #
    I think that if the manufacturer has sold the company a product, the manufacturer is more than happy to promote the product too. Besides the more the retailer sells, the more money the manufacturer will get. I would at least phone up the manufacturer for permission or ask to have images of their products sent in the post on a CD.

Theres nothing wrong with being safe so keep yourself covered

Remove Ads