Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am sure you have seen these messages lots of times
    404 Page cannot be found!
    Well there's a way to crete you own customized error page and it's easier than most people think. Here's how I did it:
    I didn't like it when I found out I surfers can leave my site if they get that message.
    When people get the blank "404" page and find themselves without any links or navigation var to help them get back to your site it's obvious
    that they'll leave. So, basicaly what I did to design a page kind of similar to my site's site map the one that contains all of the site's information
    such as links navigation var and so on. Why? because even if your site is perfectly design and works just fine chances are you'll get a error page
    evntually; so I wanted to make sure that when people get the error page they get a page like the one I described above.
    Error pages are the result of misspelled url's, and links, there might be some other reasons, I am niot sure. So make sure you type a brief message
    like this:
    " We're sorry. The file you were looking for could no be found, it may have been moved to a new location. Please use the navigation above to help you locate the file.
    To go to the homw page cluck here > www.yoursite.com"
    Now, my web hosting provider enables error pages, what that means is that in my control panel where I upload my html files and all of that there's
    an option there where I can upload my custon erroer page. It's so easy, I think most hosting companies do, if not ask your to do so.
    I hope you guys find this interesting and useful.
    Check the link bellow, they have more info there:
    http://www.404-error-page.com/404-cr...ror-page.shtml
    Franklin de Leon
    www.fdvisions.com

Member #
    Please stop making thread titles in all caps.

Member #
    One thing you omit to mention, is that you need a seperate page for each error you want to intercept, which as there are a lot of them can be quite a laborious job. Nevertheless; as you say it is well worth doing on some sites.
    End of Line.

Member #
    ALA has a very good article about 404 error pages. I haven't got the link (go to them for the tech know-how), but, quoting them, a 404 error page can be very clever (like having detection on what method you got to that page, from what search engine, etc), giving an immediate search (which people are often happy to try), and supplying your site map and a contact form.

And don't forget to check your statistics!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads