Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am new to web design and I first have general questions. First of all, I am using Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Is this the best combo, or can someone please recommend a better solution? Would you recommend creating all graphics in Photoshop and then placing in Dreamweaver? I also wonder about browser compatibility and HTML vs CSS? I appreciate the help.

Member #
    Photoshop and Dreamweaver are a good combination. You can do all photo editing or creation of simple graphics in photoshop and save them there to use for the web site. If you want to create more complex graphics or illustrations, you'll want to use illustrator or a similar program. there are a lot of issues with browser compatability, but you can avoid a lot of issues by just validating the css and html files using the w3c validators (http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/#validators). You might also want to check the information in the new Adobe CSS Advisor (still beta - http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/communi...ge&productId=1)
    as it has some useful information regarding known css issues. However, this will not replace testing your site in various browsers...

Hope this helps,
    phoenix

Member #
    HTML and CSS go hand in hand. HTML deals with the code structure, CSS deals with the layout and appearance of the page.

Member #
    First off: Software.
    Dreamweaver is a long-known great application for web design. There's no doubt of that. However, I must recommend you to take a course (or learn from the web) about HTML. Dreamweaver's Design View isn't a good place for a new designer, as no matter how easy it is to use, it's not a good habit to use a What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get application.

Photoshop is excellent for graphics. Just don't pile too many graphics into your site, because this results in huge filesizes. And make sure you reduce the amount of images as much as you can. Use real text in paragraphs (and styled in CSS), instead of styled text-images whenever possible. It is a common mistake for designers to develop pages entirely in photoshop (often cut up into tables and reconstructed in Dreamweaver), because this is very far from efficient.

Second, things to learn:
    I like HTML Dog, Your HTML Source, and Web Design From Scratch.

You must learn XHTML and CSS. This is a must. Some sites will teach you to use tables for layout, at your phase do not do this. Use CSS. Please. HTML Dog has resources on how to do that (and has a ton of links for more learning).

Javascript is a semi-requirement nowadays. PHP and a database system are crucial in a lot of modern websites, particularly in those with high interaction. These are not a must, but will be a good thing to know, and if you're doing a career, you'll need it.

Last, things to read on:
    Accessibility, the ability for a page to be accessible to a large portion of public.
    Usability, how much your site actually works, and how effective it works.
    Cross-browser compatibility, make sure your site shows the same in different browsers (or at least as similar as possible).
    Degradablity, how effective your site is in browsers of lower versions or abilities. A site with support for only the top browsers won't work well.
    Integrity, making sure your site works as a whole and accomplishes the needs of users. Also that everything is relevant and would be like a good and complete resource.
    Information Architecture, the manner in which you structure your site. Important for highly public sites.
    Search Engine Optimization, how friendly your site is to search engine crawlers. Crucial to get search-engine rankings.

Good luck!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    definately make an attempt at learning php, its ultra useful and will probably benefit your understanding of how things work in general.

definately read up about search engine optimisation as steax said (its often called SEO). try to get a grasp of flash, by using the 30 day download its always good to know a bit of whats going on!

some good books:

Flash 8: the missing manual
    Rails recipes (somewhat off subject)

if you're looking for web design inspiration check out
    www.webcreme.com
    www.dailyslurp.com
    for a start, they'll give you something to aim for

Member #
    Please don't use all caps for thread titles.... Then learn CSS and XHTML. After you can build static webpages, learn PHP.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Thanks everyone for all the usefull replies. I will add your links to my fav file I had posted a similar thread to this one so I apologize Steax for making you reply twice!! (New to forum, sorry!). This forum is so helpful and I appreciate all of the expert opinions. Hopefully soon I can provide good advice as well! Thanks again!

Remove Ads